I Need Some Inexpensive Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceres443

Assistant Cook
It is time for some cookwave, But I can't spend a arm and leg for it ...Which brands and style do you suggest.

I don't want Walmart types...something that going to last.;)

If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg you can go to places like Sam's or Cotsco and see what they have. It certainly will serve the purpose. I would look for stainless steel as I don't feel a coated/non-stick surface serves well for how I cook, except for eggs. The non-stick surfaces should not be heated to hot and a lot of times that's what I want for searing purposes.

Ceres443,
I am not sure where you live, but IKEA, TJMAxx, Home Goods also carry good value cookware, Amazon is also a great source.

A friend of mine got a "Tool for the trade" Stainless Steel with Cooper bottom set at Macy's. The pots look and feel pretty good, I've used them a couple of times.
I think she payed about $150 for a 16 pcs set on Sale.

Check to see if the town you live in has a restaurant supply store that is open to the public. We've scored some pretty good deals on some commercial cookware in ours.

I would go with Bowling, we have bought many sturdy inexpensive items at a restaurant supply store. Those were often stainless, and I actually prefer it, but you can also pick up other items that are actually pretty good.

We used to hang out with friends in the kitchen of a very expensive restaurant - not during service.

But their pots and pans you could not sell for two bits at a garage sale.

Yet they made the most wondrful French food we have ever tasted.

Am not telling you to buy cheap pots and pans but a Calphalon set does not make a chef.

And a chef can cook on minimal cookware.

Just an observation.

...But their pots and pans you could not sell for two bits at a garage sale.

You are correct - restaurant pots and pans are not of a high quality because of the abuse they take. They are meant to be thrown away and new ones bought - over and over and over again.

So - you can go to a restaurant supply and buy pots and pans that certainly work - just don't expect them to last more than a couple years if you cook a lot.

I've seen postings of members who got great cookware deals at thrift stores.
I personally have not been to one of those, but I will check them out, specially to find Descoware stuff.

Do you have a Discover credit card? if so.. look at your current cashback rewards, you can turn them in for giftcerts to many places. Bed Bath'n'Beyond is one.. if you have enough you can make a nice Calphalon set cheap out of pocket.

If it doesn't matter to you to have all matching cookware, then I'd just look for deals on individual pots and pans and grab 'em when you can find 'em at the right price--lots of good suggestions for where to look in the posts above. SS and cast iron will last a very long time with proper care. Nonstick, even higher end brands, not so much, at least not in my experience.

I bought my nonstick skillets at a Linens and things type discout store. When I had to replace my Revere ware (doesn't go with flat-top electric range) I bought some French stuff from the Chef's catalog. What a bargain. I bought more than I really wanted because the entire set was cheaper than the few pieces I wanted individually. I wish I could remember the brand name, but they are great. Good, solid, heavy bottoms. I can turn off the stove for long cooking items a half hour before eating and the food is still too hot to touch. It took me awhile to get used to both the stove and the cookware, but I love it. I don't think a nonstick saucepan is something you want, but you will want a nonstick frying pan for stir-frying, eggs, etc. A lot will depend on the kind of range you have, too.

By the way, the Revere wear simply moved next door and is still doing good the last time I visited it. It had sentimental value (my mom had all Revere when I was a kid, it was my first set of cookware, and heaven knows it lasted and lasted and is still going strong). But I can't say I miss trying to get those copper bottoms clean, especially when I had gas ranges.

Oh, found the name of the stuff I love: Sitram.

Last edited:
My favorite stock pot is a Tramontina. I also have a huge Tramontina skillet. Bought the stock pot at Sam's and the skillet at WM. They are great.

I bought the a similar set (just bigger) of the Tramontina try ply at Sam's a few years ago and they are still like new. I compared them to AllClad before I bought them..couldn't see any difference other than the names on them. Very happy with the purchase and all the money I saved. :) Walmart has the best price on that set..I think it was $300. at Cooks.com

Back
Top Bottom