"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I assumed you were referring to SS cookware. Thats what I have and recommend. SS in and out.
So in your experience, do you think the plain Stainless SS series (with aluminum core) would be a better value for me rather than, say, the Master Chef SS series with the brushed aluminum alloy coating? It seems like some of their SS series (like the one with the copper core) are probably way overpriced for what you get.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #22
Master Chef

All Clad has ONE Stainless Steel line. That's what I am referring to.

The fact that the others have SS interiors is irrelavent.

The anodized exterior and the brushed exterior are a matter of cosmetics.

Copper is the best conductor of heat. Copper cookware is excellent stuff. That's why it costs more.

But you upgrading from cheap cookware, so you probably don't need copper.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

The plain SS is the no frills line. It cooks the same as the others for less money and is the only one of All-Clad's lines that is dishwasher safe.

I recommend these the best of the bunch based on price, flexibility and ease of care.

I suggest you consider a covered saute pan in the 3 quart size range or a larger one in the 5 or 6 quart size depending on how many people you regularly cook for.

The saute pan will do pretty much everything a skillet will do, holds more because of the frlat bottom and straight sides and comes with a cover.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Allclad Viking or CIA Masters' collection ... look for promos or sales .

for $100 you are looking at an 8" or 1 qt size. However, often you'll see a good discount at MArshalls or TJ Max. also check out Cookware & More : Selling All Clad Irregulars Since 1984 irregular Allclad at great prices
Old 01-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #25
Senior Cook

What no one seems to have mentioned is that the stainless steel should be 18/10. This refers to the percentage of chromium and nickel that are in the steel alloy.

18% chromium will help form a barrier to corrosion. Even if there is a scratch, the newly exposed surface will immediately react to the air and form a new barrier. This helps stop the oxygen from reacting with the iron.

The 10% nickel adds even more corrosion resistance, plus adds hardness, shine, and resistance to heat...all good things in a kitchen.

Having an upper and lower sheet sandwiching an aluminum sheet is the best, since it allows for the best heat conduction and dispersion.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

save your money buy aluminum its lighter,a good conductor and cheaper than stainless
Old 01-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

If I had $100.00 to blow on one pan I would go on ebay and buy a used Saladmaster Stainless Steel Electric 11 inch skillet with lid. They are oil core. I have had one for years and love it.
Stan
Old 01-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #28
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
The SS cookware that I have now - Emerilware.
I recently purchased a 12" Emerilware ss skillet & a 12 " Calphalon tri ply ss skillet.
The Emerilware has a MUCH thicker bottom & is great for developing a browned crust on foods; it's kind of heavy though.
The Calphalon is thinner, lighter & bigger but you have to be more careful with the heat.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The plain SS is the no frills line. It cooks the same as the others for less money and is the only one of All-Clad's lines that is dishwasher safe.

I recommend these the best of the bunch based on price, flexibility and ease of care.

I suggest you consider a covered saute pan in the 3 quart size range or a larger one in the 5 or 6 quart size depending on how many people you regularly cook for.

The saute pan will do pretty much everything a skillet will do, holds more because of the frlat bottom and straight sides and comes with a cover.
Actually, All-Clad has just introduced their new LTD2 line, which is also dishwasher safe. The 10" fry pan is available for $99.95 @ W-S.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodstorm View Post
Actually, All-Clad has just introduced their new LTD2 line, which is also dishwasher safe. The 10" fry pan is available for $99.95 @ W-S.

This is apparantly a Williams-Sonoma only product as the All-Clad site does not even list a LTD2 product line.