If you had $100 to blow, what piece of stainless-steel cookware would you buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I assumed you were referring to SS cookware. Thats what I have and recommend. SS in and out.

So in your experience, do you think the plain Stainless SS series (with aluminum core) would be a better value for me rather than, say, the Master Chef SS series with the brushed aluminum alloy coating? It seems like some of their SS series (like the one with the copper core) are probably way overpriced for what you get.

All Clad has ONE Stainless Steel line. That's what I am referring to.

The fact that the others have SS interiors is irrelavent.

The anodized exterior and the brushed exterior are a matter of cosmetics.

Copper is the best conductor of heat. Copper cookware is excellent stuff. That's why it costs more.

But you upgrading from cheap cookware, so you probably don't need copper.

The plain SS is the no frills line. It cooks the same as the others for less money and is the only one of All-Clad's lines that is dishwasher safe.

I recommend these the best of the bunch based on price, flexibility and ease of care.

I suggest you consider a covered saute pan in the 3 quart size range or a larger one in the 5 or 6 quart size depending on how many people you regularly cook for.

The saute pan will do pretty much everything a skillet will do, holds more because of the frlat bottom and straight sides and comes with a cover.

What no one seems to have mentioned is that the stainless steel should be 18/10. This refers to the percentage of chromium and nickel that are in the steel alloy.

18% chromium will help form a barrier to corrosion. Even if there is a scratch, the newly exposed surface will immediately react to the air and form a new barrier. This helps stop the oxygen from reacting with the iron.

The 10% nickel adds even more corrosion resistance, plus adds hardness, shine, and resistance to heat...all good things in a kitchen.

Having an upper and lower sheet sandwiching an aluminum sheet is the best, since it allows for the best heat conduction and dispersion.

If I had $100.00 to blow on one pan I would go on ebay and buy a used Saladmaster Stainless Steel Electric 11 inch skillet with lid. They are oil core. I have had one for years and love it.
Stan

The SS cookware that I have now - Emerilware.

I recently purchased a 12" Emerilware ss skillet & a 12 " Calphalon tri ply ss skillet.
The Emerilware has a MUCH thicker bottom & is great for developing a browned crust on foods; it's kind of heavy though.
The Calphalon is thinner, lighter & bigger but you have to be more careful with the heat.

The plain SS is the no frills line. It cooks the same as the others for less money and is the only one of All-Clad's lines that is dishwasher safe.

I recommend these the best of the bunch based on price, flexibility and ease of care.

I suggest you consider a covered saute pan in the 3 quart size range or a larger one in the 5 or 6 quart size depending on how many people you regularly cook for.

The saute pan will do pretty much everything a skillet will do, holds more because of the frlat bottom and straight sides and comes with a cover.

Actually, All-Clad has just introduced their new LTD2 line, which is also dishwasher safe. The 10" fry pan is available for $99.95 @ W-S.

Actually, All-Clad has just introduced their new LTD2 line, which is also dishwasher safe. The 10" fry pan is available for $99.95 @ W-S.

This is apparantly a Williams-Sonoma only product as the All-Clad site does not even list a LTD2 product line.

This is apparantly a Williams-Sonoma only product as the All-Clad site does not even list a LTD2 product line.

Yes, All-Clad has released this line exclusively to W-S at this time. I often wonder why the "exclusives" aren't listed on the mfrs' websites. I've seen Calphalon and Le Creuset do this as well...

Most of the All Clad products cook alike...most have a solid aluminum core/ THe wee bit o copper on the copper chef or in the copper core is nice but has minimal effect.

THe Stainless line is magnetic so it works on induction and all other modes. It is dishwasher safe. THe MC2 is the pro line and the cheapest. You'll see it in use on Iron Chef America. Sure seems to work there.

It is American made in Pennsylvania, (Union made at that for those who care).

It is some of the best cookware out there.

What does one need? No one here can tell you that. How many in the family, how much cooking, what kinds of recipes etc. A well stocked kitchen has 8 9 and 11 inch skillets (sautee pans) and a 9 inch covered sautee pan (fry pan), a 1 2 and 3 qt sauce pan with covers for 2 of them, a 5 or 6 qt "dutch oven" caserole and an 8 qt stock pot/soup pot. But, does a single person who never entertains going to need that much? Won;t a family of 10 need bigger pots than 2 and 3 qt? etc

so, when asking and figuring all this out, keep the practical in mind. (unless you are a pot and pan junkie like me and NEED more just in case I get the urge to cook a pot roast for 12 some night!)

I'd complete my set and get my big roasting pan w/ the removable rack. I'd get one big enough for a giant turkey. Then I'd spend the rest on the giant turkey and get cookin!

All the All-Clads are the same basically--except for the Emeril ones. Those are like "quasi-AllClad" and are nowhere near as good.

As to what I'd buy with 100 bucks? I could use another sauicer--I've got one but I'd like a larger one. Problem is I can't find one where I live.

And the Cuisinart Panini press thing is amazing. I like the interchangeable surfaces and routinely use it for griddling pancakes and other such niceties instead of just as a grill. My only complaint with it is the stainless steel top--it's not heatproofed at all and I've burned myself on the thing more than once. And since the top of the press comes down at an angle, it has a tendency to "push" the top half of a panini forward/off center from the bottom half. End result being you end up having to either poke it back in place or else you have to adjust the top lid's angle so it doesn't push. Problem is since the lid is 300 degrees....I keep an 'ove glove near my press to put on to adjust the lid.

Le Gourmet Chef Tri-Ply Stainless Steel

The 8 piece set contains everything you need to start off with for $175.00 plus shipping. Just as good as All-Clad, but 1/3 the price, mainly becuase Le Gourmet Chef doesn't give any of them away to "Celebrity Chefs" free-fer-nuthin'!

While you're there, check out their other set, and their individual pieces, too. I have everything on that page, and then some, I have had them for years, and never had a problem with any of them. Well, I did have a rivet come loose on the handle of one of the fry pans (I have one 12-inch without teflon, one 10-inch with teflon and one without, and 1 8-inch with teflon and one without) and they replaced it immediately, for free, without an argument.

BTW, click the STORE LOCATOR button and see if there is one near you. They have a much better selection in the store than on line, and they have been known to have close-out sales on redesigned pieces (the last redesign changed the handle style a bit).

Where is the product made? I'd much rather spend the additional money and get something made in the US than save a few bucks buying something Chinese.

Where is the product made? I'd much rather spend the additional money and get something made in the US than save a few bucks buying something Chinese.
They're made in China, just like Kwai Chang Caine!

I don't know what your problem is with Chinese goods. I am old enough to remember when "MADE IN JAPAN" translated to "THIS IS CHEAP JUNK", but now you probably drive a Japanese car (I don't), listen to a Japanese radio (I don't), watch a Japanese television (I don't), read this forum on a Japanese computer (I don't), and extol the virtues of everything you own that's Japanese (I don't own anything Japanese). Meanwhile, the Japanese companies are underpricing everything they export to the United States, with their Goverment's support, until they run their American competition out of business. And if you don't believe they're doing that, ask them to explain why the same Nikon camera costs more in downtown Tokyo than it does in downtown Los Angeles. Funny, you can't get that kind of deal on a Zeis or Leitca camera.

But, it's your money, so go ahead and buy one All-Clad pan instead of a whole set of pots and pans of the same quality, and know that you just bought a pan for Emeril, Tyler, Bobby, and Ina too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom