If you had $100 to blow, what piece of stainless-steel cookware would you buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
Ok, so right now all I have are non-stick Cooks' Essentials pots and pans. I want to switch to stainless steel because I hear they are a lot more versitile and are great for making pan sauces and such.

Instead of buying a cheap set that'll wear out in a couple years, I want to slowly build a collection of good-quality cookware, such as Calphalon and All-Clad.

My question is, what is a good 8-,10-, or 12- pan that doesn't cost much more than around $100? Thanks for the help!

I'm in Canada, so I can't help you on where to go, but look for a restaurant equipment supply in the phone book and go down to have a look before going to a retail outlet. You may find better quality professional equipment for your buck.

Try to buy pots and pans with handles that are riveted to to side rather than spot welded. And remember one thing...just because it shines doesn't mean it great quality.

Do this before dropping your money!

Marko
Livingston Cooks

I like to shop on Amazon (not advertising for them, I don't think they need it) and I have gotten great deals on things for the kitchen.

I purchased my microplane zester (years ago when it was only available at gourmet stores) for a very reasonable price. I also ordered Silpat from them before it became popular. I have never been disappointed. I have gotten braver and braver and have ordered a lot of expensive stuff from them and have been happy.

They have so much stuff in their cookware section. Look at the link to Calphalon stainless stuff. They also have Allclad at a good price but to me it's too pricey.

Amazon.com: Amazon.com - Tri-Ply Stainless: Kitchen & Dining

I'd go to the Cookware and More website and wait for a sale. Then I'd buy an All Clad 10 or 12 inch skillet. Or a 3 qt saucepan. Or a 3 or 4 quart sautee pan.

This site sells cosmetic seconds at good prices. I've been buying from them for many years. They also run sales than afford even further discounts, which become very good deals.

All-Clad Stainless

Also, Amazon.com occasionally has very good deals on All Clad.

Whatever you do, don't buy top quality cookware at full price. It's always on sale somewhere. SHOP AROUND.

I'd go to the Cookware and More website and wait for a sale. Then I'd buy an All Clad 10 or 12 inch skillet. Or a 3 qt saucepan. Or a 3 or 4 quart sautee pan.

This site sells cosmetic seconds at good prices. I've been buying from them for many years. They also run sales than afford even further discounts, which become very good deals.

All-Clad Stainless

Also, Amazon.com occasionally has very good deals on All Clad.

Whatever you do, don't buy top quality cookware at full price. It's always on sale somewhere. SHOP AROUND.

WOW...very good prices there! I'm curious though...is there a way to find out what the "irregularity" is?

WOW...very good prices there! I'm curious though...is there a way to find out what the "irregularity" is?

Sure....ask me. I bought 2 pans from there.

One had a tiny nick on the handle, and I couldn't find anything wrong with the second.

Who cares? They have more dings and scratches now than you can shake a stick at.

I have purchased almost all of my All Clad from them. My theory is the same as Jeek's ... how long will it take you to nick a brand new pristine skillet? Is it worth that amount of money to use a pristine piece of cookware for that short an amount of time?

On maybe 6 of the pieces I couldn't tell anything at all. On 2 or 3 there was a small scratch -- like 1/2 inch. On one there was a larger scratch maybe 1 1/2 inch. I contemplated sending that one back, but kept it anyway. They'll take things back, of course.

They are a great company to buy from. They have a retail store somewhere where they let you root through the stock (all "seconds") and choose your own.

Most of mine are 8-12 years old now and still going strong.

If you call and talk to them they'll probably tell you when their next sale is. I get flyers now.

The "irregularities" are cosmetic, not functional. For the reduced price, you pan won't be prefect but will function perfectly.

I was one click away from "Submit Your Order" when Jenny gave me the link. Instead of one 10" fry I got two.

Well thanks for the link...I will probably use this, but I'm kinda looking more for a specific make/model that is known to be good. Does anybody have any specific recommendations?

Well thanks for the link...I will probably use this, but I'm kinda looking more for a specific make/model that is known to be good. Does anybody have any specific recommendations?

HUH?

Was I not extremely specific about not only the make (All Clad, know to be among the best) but the types of cookware I would suggest (skillets, saucepans, saute pans with sizes)?

Then I offered up a place to buy those specific things for cheap (Cookware and More)?

Emerilware is OK, but it's not fully clad. IMO you pay a premium for his name.

HUH?

Was I not extremely specific about not only the make (All Clad, know to be among the best) but the types of cookware I would suggest (skillets, saucepans, saute pans with sizes)?

Then I offered up a place to buy those specific things for cheap (Cookware and More)?

Emerilware is OK, but it's not fully clad. IMO you pay a premium for his name.

Yea, but I mean like what specific models of AllClad...I went on their website and noticed they have like 5 or 6 different types of material they sell, and a plethora of different shapes and sizes for each collection. I'm mostly looking for a saute pan...8-,10-,or 12-inch preferebly.

Le Gourmet Chef Tri-Ply Stainless Steel

The 8 piece set contains everything you need to start off with for $175.00 plus shipping. Just as good as All-Clad, but 1/3 the price, mainly becuase Le Gourmet Chef doesn't give any of them away to "Celebrity Chefs" free-fer-nuthin'!

While you're there, check out their other set, and their individual pieces, too. I have everything on that page, and then some, I have had them for years, and never had a problem with any of them. Well, I did have a rivet come loose on the handle of one of the fry pans (I have one 12-inch without teflon, one 10-inch with teflon and one without, and 1 8-inch with teflon and one without) and they replaced it immediately, for free, without an argument.

BTW, click the STORE LOCATOR button and see if there is one near you. They have a much better selection in the store than on line, and they have been known to have close-out sales on redesigned pieces (the last redesign changed the handle style a bit).

Last edited:
lol
img_529310_0_8654eb8b040f5d8d86184d68017d4b42.gif

Yea, but I mean like what specific models of AllClad...I went on their website and noticed they have like 5 or 6 different types of material they sell, and a plethora of different shapes and sizes for each collection. I'm mostly looking for a saute pan...8-,10-,or 12-inch preferebly.

Huh? Again. Didn't you say you wanted to buy SS cookware? That sort of narrows it down to that one type of material. I gave you recs for shapes and sizes. Saute pans are measures in volume.

Huh? Again. Didn't you say you wanted to buy SS cookware? That sort of narrows it down to that one type of material. I gave you recs for shapes and sizes. Saute pans are measures in volume.

All-Clad has 5 different types of stainless steel. Plain stainless, Copper Core stainless, LTD, Master Chef, and copper-coated stainless steel. What I'm looking for is if anybody has any recommendations for any specific models that would cost around $100...such as the All-Clad Copper Core Series 8" Stainless Steel Fry Pan, for example.

I assumed you were referring to SS cookware. Thats what I have and recommend. SS in and out. IMO no need to go from cheap to copper.

I gave you makes and models in that price range. On sale, they'd be less.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom