I'm sure this has already been discussed...but which metal is best for cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rykertest

Assistant Cook
but where can I find the thread that addresses which is better, cast iron, copper, stainless steel, aluminum etc for cooking pots and pans? I like cast iron and hate non stick. Other than cast iron, whats the safest alternative to get away from the non stick cancer stuff? lol I said that horribly but you know what I mean.

Thanks!

Aside from a few stainless steel pots, most of the time I use Cast Iron.

Not to sound like im paranoid but I keep hearing that non stick and aluminum are bad for your health. Well, it seems that every stainless steel pan I find has aluminum in it.

Is a pure stainless steel pan even an option? What about copper? Copper seems like the ideal pan besides cast iron.

Thanks for your reply.

Cast iron, stainless steal, and copper are the best in my opinion. As for SS, if you get dark spots on the inside of the pan, or pits, then that means something bad has happened and the aluminum inside is coming thru. Your options are to toss it or have it 'refinished'.
Personally I have had my copper bottom SS set for around 8 years now and they look like the day the wife brought em home from work (she worked at World Kitchen and got free samples, in this case an entire set of copper bottom SS with glass lids). As long as you take care of them they should be around for a long time to come.

Unfortunately, the best cookware material depends on the application. They all have their positive and negative sides - and sometimes it's not a matter of "a" material but a blend of materials (enameled cast iron vs enameled steel, ply or encapsulated aluminum and stainless steel, lined copper, etc.).

You might start here: How to choose, use and care for pots and pans ...

There is quite a bit of alarmism in the current scare about aluminum cookware. There is said to be a link between high aluminum blood levels in dementia of older people. The FDA has stated that they can find no link and that aluminum cookware is safe for general usage. Aluminum is an essential requirement of your dietary needs and is in sources other than pots and pans. The amount that leaches from your pots and pans is miniscule and until there is more conclusive research done, the jury is still out on this issue. Any pot and/or pan will leach a certain amount of material into your food, whether it is made of aluminum, copper, stainless steel, or cast iron. Most commercial applications (ie. eateries) use aluminum cookware because it's cheap and cooks well. If you eat out any at all, you will still have exposure to aluminum, even if you don't cook with it at home. Hard anodized aluminum is one of the hardest surfaces available, easily marked on but seldom scratched below the surface layer of anodization. Anodizing is a chemical process that changes the surface of aluminum and makes it quite tough.

Non-stick coatings aren't for life, they do wear and again transfer to your food in very small amounts. Most wear and tear comes from cleaning rather than cooking. While the non-stick technology has improved over the years, it's still not perfect. You usually can only expect a 3 to 5 year life on the coating, before wear starts to show and it's best to discard the pan and replace it when you do see wear. The coating will also lose it's non-stick abilities over time, whether it wears or not.

Stainless steel makes a great cooking surface, but is not so good with even heat distribution. Aluminum has better characteristics for heat distribution, but is not an ideal surface to cook on. This is why you will often see stainless steel combined with aluminum in cookware.

Anodized aluminum has been treated so that its surface will act more like stainless steel than if it was left untreated.

Not to sound like im paranoid but I keep hearing that non stick and aluminum are bad for your health. Well, it seems that every stainless steel pan I find has aluminum in it.

Is a pure stainless steel pan even an option? What about copper? Copper seems like the ideal pan besides cast iron.

Thanks for your reply.

I believe, properly used, non-stick cookware is perfectly safe. If you are concerned, you can certainly not use it.

Some years ago, a report stated there was a link between aluminum cookware and Alzheimer's disease. That link has been debunked as not valid.

If you choose to avoid aluminum cookware, you may certainly do so. However, cookware made from aluminum sandwiched between layers of SS is not in the same category as plain aluminum. The food only touches the SS.

There was a time when aluminum cookware was touted as the HEALTHY cookware.
It was quite a selling point about 80-90 years ago.

I believe, properly used, non-stick cookware is perfectly safe. If you are concerned, you can certainly not use it.

Some years ago, a report stated there was a link between aluminum cookware and Alzheimer's disease. That link has been debunked as not valid.

If you choose to avoid aluminum cookware, you may certainly do so. However, cookware made from aluminum sandwiched between layers of SS is not in the same category as plain aluminum. The food only touches the SS.

Hi, I figured if it was the core material, it should not be an issue even when using metal untensils correct? I've read about that aluminum rumor, and it's like eggs. First they are bad for you then good for you then bad again. Frigin eh.

I a not a professional chef nor do I work in the food industry like I would guess most of you do. I just want something low maintenance, safe and easy to use. I also care about safety. With kids in the house, something lighter than cast iron is nice.

I do like the look of copper but it must be expensive. Thank you again for your reply.

IMO, there is no one best metal for cooking. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Tin lined copper is probably the best cookware, but it is heavy, expcnsive requires care and melts at 450 degrees. It is however, beautiful to look at. You cannot use metal utensils with it. Not good around non-cooks. Cast iron will take heat, is virtually indestructible, is easy to clean, and will take heat. The best for searing, but is not good with acids. Stainless is easy care, but does not heat evenly. There are a lot of hybrids around, some good, mediocre, or downright bad. In my kitchen, I use copper and cast iron. Bottom line, if you are going to make a large investment, try some of each, ask around, and purchase what works best for you. You are right, this question has been beaten to death. There are several threads under cookware and assessories worth reading.

There is quite a bit of alarmism in the current scare about aluminum cookware. There is said to be a link between high aluminum blood levels in dementia of older people. The FDA has stated that they can find no link and that aluminum cookware is safe for general usage. Aluminum is an essential requirement of your dietary needs and is in sources other than pots and pans. The amount that leaches from your pots and pans is miniscule and until there is more conclusive research done, the jury is still out on this issue. Any pot and/or pan will leach a certain amount of material into your food, whether it is made of aluminum, copper, stainless steel, or cast iron. Most commercial applications (ie. eateries) use aluminum cookware because it's cheap and cooks well. If you eat out any at all, you will still have exposure to aluminum, even if you don't cook with it at home. Hard anodized aluminum is one of the hardest surfaces available, easily marked on but seldom scratched below the surface layer of anodization. Anodizing is a chemical process that changes the surface of aluminum and makes it quite tough.

Non-stick coatings aren't for life, they do wear and again transfer to your food in very small amounts. Most wear and tear comes from cleaning rather than cooking. While the non-stick technology has improved over the years, it's still not perfect. You usually can only expect a 3 to 5 year life on the coating, before wear starts to show and it's best to discard the pan and replace it when you do see wear. The coating will also lose it's non-stick abilities over time, whether it wears or not.

very informative reply thank you!

If light weight is a major thing you are looking for then cast iron is out. As others have said, all the pans you mentioned all have positives and negatives. There is not one style that is the best over the rest. Of the ones you listed, and based on your weight requirement, I would go with SS if I had to pick just one. Weight is actually a good thing in cookware as it helps with even heat distribution. SS is generally lighter than cast iron, but heavier than non stick pans (although not always). There is very little that you can not do with SS cookware.

...I a not a professional chef nor do I work in the food industry like I would guess most of you do. I just want something low maintenance, safe and easy to use. I also care about safety. With kids in the house, something lighter than cast iron is nice.

I do like the look of copper but it must be expensive. Thank you again for your reply.

Most of us on this site are not professionals in the food industry, just people who are interested in food and cooking. I use the tri-ply SS because it is durable and safe. It's also easy to clean.

Copper is expensive in comparison to SS and others.

You are quite welcome and I wish I could take credit for it but it's a compilation of information that I found in Alton Browns "Gear for Your Kitchen". I would highly recommend getting the book, it's full of some great information. In typical Brown style, he breaks everything down to bare nuts and bolts and explains the science behind the information. He has broken down cookware into types of metal explaining the metallurgy(heating efficiency, sources of each metal) and the good and bad points of all. Purchasing the book was one of the best $18.00 kitchen purchases I've ever made, there's a lot of info in there about just about everything tool wise in your kitchen.

I also am not a professional food person, but I love to eat good food. I've found that I can cook better food than quite a few places for far less money. It's all in the details of preparation and the passion of wanting the best ingredients assembled perfectly into tasty grub. Not traits that you can find in many places to eat, other than your own kitchen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom