Impossible to clean Glass Casserole Pan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thecactuswill

Senior Cook
Yeah, so I burnt some food in it. Theres about a quarter inch layer of charred volcanic rock on the bottom. I've been soaking it for a week, and this stuff just will not come off. What to do?

round up the usual suspects - vinegar, baking soda (not together - you'll get that volcano reaction we learned in jr high, altho come to think of it that might be cool)

or try Coke - takes the rust off of pennies they say.

can't hurt.

Put some ammonia in it and seal it up tightly with some plastic wrap. Let it sit overnight, outdoors if necessary to avoid any fumes. It should clean a lot easier. Scrape off the big chunks and use Barkeepers Friend to help with any stubborn residue.

When I've had the same trouble, I fill the dish with boiling hot water and a few tbsp of liquid dishwasher soap. Let sit for a couple of hours and you should be able to get it out with a regular scrub brush. Best of luck!

Try half filling the pan with water, add a couple tablespoons of baking soda and put it in the oven on warm. (I'd suggest putting it on the stovetop but don't want to you explode your dish) Let it simmer in there a while and then give it a good scrub. I'd use a plastic lifter thing to try and scrape a bunch of gunk off then use a scouring pad. Best of luck!

I've already tried most of these things guys, no luck. Trying vinegar was the worst, did nothing and stinks sooo bad...

jkath said:
When I've had the same trouble, I fill the dish with boiling hot water and a few tbsp of liquid dishwasher soap. Let sit for a couple of hours and you should be able to get it out with a regular scrub brush. Best of luck!

I'm trying this now, this time with liquid automatic dishwashing detergent, I'm assuming thats what you meant?

Well, let's see, if you've already tried dishwashing liquid, dishwasher detergent, baking soda, vinegar, ammonia, napalm, etc. There's another thing I would suggest. I am an avid yard sale shopper and frequently come across casserole dishes and other glass cookware that is extremely dirty and/or has a thick layer of cooked-on gunk.

What I do to clean these icky things is to spray them quite heavily with Easy-Off oven cleaner, seal them in a plastic trash bag (a small one) and seal the bag. I let the piece stay in the sealed bag at least 24 hours. After that period of time, I take it out and wash/scrub it in hot soapy water. If there's still stuff on the piece, it gets another treatment. I have had it take several iterations before I'm left with a "like new" casserole or whatever.

Seems to me that if you've messed up the casserole, you really have nothing to lose by trying just about anything. If nothing works, then you're stuck with buying another dish. I'd say go for it and try anything that's suggested.

Katie

P.S. I've used this same method on stainless steel cookware, too. Just don't get it on any plastic, Bakelite, etc. knobs and handles.

I have found very hot water and a good dose of dishwasher powder or tablet to be effective.

I like Andy's idea now. You should be able to eventually take a spatula and scrape it. If it's really that thick it may be over for it.

Gretchen said:
I like Andy's idea now. You should be able to eventually take a spatula and scrape it. If it's really that thick it may be over for it.

Anything grungy like that, I use an Industrial strength degreaser - but EasyOff is almost the same! Go with the oven cleaner!

get a good, semi-flexible butter knife, or a putty knife, and try to chip away. wear gloves just in case something cracks or breaks. once you have a little spot chipped thru, work on the edges therein.
often, the stuff burnt on is petrified, but has not truely bonded with the glass, so you may be able to scrape it away.

I like the little square nylon scrapers that come with Pampered Chef's stoneware. They work really well for this kind of thing.

Sodium Hydroxide (AKA Caustic Soda / Lye) will shift it.
make a strong soln of this and leave it to stand in the dish over night, that should remove it quite well, be carefull though it`s equaly good at removing flesh too, so keep it somewhere safe and wear gloves (eye protection if you can).

the other alternative is to go All the way, and put your dish back in the oven and put it onto it`s highest heat for a good hour or so, turning the whole thing into pure carbon, that stuffs really easy to remove then :)

LIke several other ideas, I will soak it as best I can, then scrape it with anything from a table knife to a putty knife (You will not have to worry about scratching the glass, as it is quite a bit harder than stainless tableware), then with a scotchbrite scouring pad to get the remaining bits. But I've never cooked anything that was quite as burned on as what Cactus describes...

My DW on the other hand lacks patience, and tends to try to do things to fast sometimes.... :rolleyes:............:LOL: Since we have the deal that the one who doesn't cook gets to do the cleanup, I usually get to clean up her messes :angel:

Last edited:
I'm embarrassed to say that I probably would have thrown it away. Hours X my time = new pyrex. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom