In search of the healthiest cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nkline

Assistant Cook
Greetings,

I have a simple question which I have a feeling will bring about a not-so-simple answer, or a bunch of contrasting opinions.

I am looking for recommendations on the healthiest type of cookware. For example, "stainless steel is the healthiest cookware because...".

That was just an example, I'm not promoting stainless steel as the healthiest cookware but I would appreciate your thoughts/constructive critism/research you've come across. By healthy I mean the food is not contaminated by the cookware and toxic gases are not released into the air while the cookware is heated.

As for the cooking style this cookware will be used with, assume nothing fancy.

Thank you for your time,

Nick

Last edited:
Hi, Nick. Welcome to DC.

Among all the most common types of cookware, There is no one type that is healthier than another. Stainless, non-stick, anodized aluminum, seasoned cast iron, enameled cast iron, glass, all are not a factor in the healthfulness of a dish.

How you cook in the cookware is a different story...

Well, For stove top cooking, i think that Non-Stick Cookware is the best kind coz the amount of oil to be used in the food when using a non stick cookware is very very less, and so its healthy.

healthy cookware

If you want to be able to cook a wide variety of things at a variety of heats, stainless steel is probably one of your better choices. Virtually all non stick type pans outgas at certain temperatures, even the newest types. If used according to the manufacturer's directions, they are fairly safe when they are new. All of them degrade with time and use.
Stainless is easy to use, cleans up well, and stands up to some pretty rough treatment indoors or out.
Every cook has their favorite. Use whatever you find functional and makes your kitchen time enjoyable.
Happy kitchen
realistic cook

I am not sure what healthiest cookware is supposed to mean. Each has it's pros and cons but here is what I prefer:

Thick bottomed stainless (double layer) with an aluminum core : Example Allclad. It helps maintain even temperature during cooking. It's pricey but a couple of peices is all you need.

Good quality Non-stick: I like calphalon. You can cook with less oil since you don't have to worry about things sticking so the end product is healthier.

My Lodge cast iron fry pan is over 100 years old and it's never even had a sniffle. Now, THAT'S healthy!

Well, For stove top cooking, i think that Non-Stick Cookware is the best kind coz the amount of oil to be used in the food when using a non stick cookware is very very less, and so its healthy.

My cast iron is very well seasoned. I get it hot and add 1 tbs. of cooking oil to the pan, then use a paper towel to rub it all over the pan's inner- surface. After that, I can fry eggs on it without them sticking, or ham, or anything I want. And, I don't have to worry about damaging the pan due to high heat. I can't say the same of non-stick cookware. Virtually nothing sticks to my cast iron.

And for stainless, very little sticks, if you add the oil after heating the pan. Then, as with cast iron, just use a paper towel to rub the hot oil around the cooking surface. Teh amount of fat added to the food is negligible. But even when oiled properly, some things will stick to SS.

Enamel and glass are absolutely inert, and so are very heathy. But again, they aren't as stick-free as the SS or the Cast iron. But for slow-cooked meals, they are as good as anything else.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My cast iron is very well seasoned. I get it hot and add 1 tbs. of cooking oil to the pan, then use a paper towel to rub it all over the pan's inner- surface. After that, I can fry eggs on it without them sticking, or ham, or anything I want. And, I don't have to worry about damaging the pan due to high heat. I can't say the same of non-stick cookware. Virtually nothing sticks to my cast iron.

And for stainless, very little sticks, if you add the oil after heating the pan. Then, as with cast iron, just use a paper towel to rub the hot oil around the cooking surface. Teh amount of fat added to the food is negligible. But even when oiled properly, some things will stick to SS.

Enamel and glass are absolutely inert, and so are very heathy. But again, they aren't as stick-free as the SS or the Cast iron. But for slow-cooked meals, they are as good as anything else.

Hey, just wondering what you do to not burn your hand? Seems like rubbing hot oil with a paper towel can get dangerous, are you wearing a glove when you do this?

I am new to the cast iron world, and so far like it. But I only season the pan AFTER using it, when the pan is just warm...

Quicker Thinker Upper said:
Hey, just wondering what you do to not burn your hand? Seems like rubbing hot oil with a paper towel can get dangerous, are you wearing a glove when you do this?

Take a sheet of paper towel and fold it in half 3 times {in one direction} ... turn it 90-degrees and fold it in half 2 times. Now, hold onto the free ends and use the other half (the bottom of the "U") to rub the oil into the pan. It only takes a couple of seconds.

If you are worried still - use a pair of tongs to hold the paper towel.

Last edited:
Take a sheet of paper towel and fold it in half 3 times {in one direction} ... turn it 90-degrees and fold it in half 2 times. Now, hold onto the free ends and use the other half (the bottom of the "U") to rub the oil into the pan. It only takes a couple of seconds.

That's exactly what I do. And if I find that I'm taking too long, then I know when to remove the paper towel as it slowly begins to feel warmer. But as you said, it takes a mere couple of seconds, not enough time for the scant amount of oil to soak through and distribute the heat.

The key to this is to use only a tsp. or so of cooking oil, shortning, lard, or butter. This is plenty to cover the surface.

michael, i tried that but i ended up with this:

istockphoto_2468237_origami_bird.jpg

not so good for seasoning cast iron, but very pretty...:rolleyes:

You can also grip the wad of paper towel with tongs if you were using them while cooking.

Healthiest cookware 1) tin lined copper. tin is completely non reactive and contains no chrome ornickle which SS does which may cause some people issues. 2) soapstone, which also heats quickly and cools down slowly and cooks evenly but can crack if impropperly seasoned or dropped or thermally shocked.

I enjoy using both of the above from time to time, but stainless lined copper is easier to deal with for many recipes and my "restaurant pans" are aluminum and I'm not dead nor are most of us. I also insist on stick free pans for eggs, pancakes, etc.

glass can be fully inert but is really pretty bad for top of the stove cooking. Has some purpose in the oven.

And I agree with Caine...my 100+ year old Griswold pan has never been sick a day in its cast iron life.

While SS contains both nickle and chromium, it is not 'available'. SO has a nickle allergy and SS is simply not a problem. The nickle in the SS does not leech into the food.

From what I know, Tin lined cooper and Stainless Steel (SS) are the safest and most practical to use. Although SS contains Nickel and Chromium, the amount released at cooking temperature is negligible to the human body.
I own both type of cookware and tin is easier to clean.

I would not recomment using Non-Stick coated cookware since these materials release gases/compounds.

Back
Top Bottom