Indoor smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dav K

Assistant Cook
Nordic ware 365 indoor smoker for Christmas. Ruined a nice sirloin, rocked some salmon fillets and a pork loin. Non stick cooking surface cleans easily, but the raw metal interior is discolored after Few cooks. Should I consider this normal and it just seasoned?
Thanks

I got one for Christmas also. Nice smoke flavor but overcooks everything and the food looks boiled. I used mine 3 times and the no stick grate is like new but the bottom pan where chips go is discolored and the outside is black in places. I would like one that cold smokes.

I ran into the same, overcooked, looks boiled with the sirloin. I've found that using the lower end of cooking time is better. Traditional smoking takes longer and leaves that nice charred crust. I think this method goes too fast for that. Even cutting down on cook time the salmon was a little dry. The pork loin went much better. I've heard this thing has I learning curve, so far I'm liking it.

So smoke for a short time then remove and sear/brown on stove or in oven/broiler?

That's been a line of thought. So has been searing then smoking. What I've done is leave in smoker, just smoking on the short end of time suggested in the instructions. Planning a Kentucky Bourbon marinade salmon with rice and brussel sprouts after the packers knock off new York.

That's been a line of thought. So has been searing then smoking. What I've done is leave in smoker, just smoking on the short end of time suggested in the instructions. Planning a Kentucky Bourbon marinade salmon with rice and brussel sprouts after the packers knock off new York.
Maybe putting smoker IN the oven without the lid would work a bit better?

The train of thought my coworker has was sear to lock in moisture, then smoke to finish.

Hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken wings so far. I got side tracked playing with my other new toy: The Instantpot.

The instipot is the new toy my girlfriends sister just got. That's who suggested the smoker to her parents for me. She has not tried it yet.

The instipot is the new toy my girlfriends sister just got. That's who suggested the smoker to her parents for me. She has not tried it yet.
I've done pot roast twice, smoked ham hock (store bought) stock for split pea soup and coffee yogurt in my Instantpot so far.

Taking a look at what you've tried in the smoker, I'd suggest something with more substance. Like what you've done with the instipot.

...Planning a Kentucky Bourbon marinade salmon...
Hi Dav, and welcome to DC.

First, congrats to your Packers. When it comes to the playoffs I tend to root NFC, since my hometown team (the CloBrowns) probably couldn't beat a college team.

Next, although I don't have a smoker or intend on getting one, did you make the salmon with Bourbon marinade? It sounds like it would be a great flavor profile for salmon no matter how it was cooked.

Yes, it was a Bourbon marinade. Used a mixture of oak and alder wood chips. It was fantastic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom