Indoor Smoker recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks taxy, I did and if I ever would need two of them, that one would certainly be in the running. Actually that post is what got me back on the band wagon again. Had been looking last summer and then it just sort of fizzled out.

It does interest in the multi-uses - but I do have a pressure cooker already and I would rather not use electricity. We have a lot of power failures out here and even though I have the most amazing self-sufficient generator it could and probably would screw up the timing, etc... ;) My gas doesn't need electricity to run.

contemplating an indoor smoker and am looking at these two

Camerons Stainless Steel Stove top

or this one

Nordic Ware Indoor Kettle

I'm sorta leaning towards the kettle style. Think I could put a whole chicken in, rather than have to cut it up...

Anybody got recommendations?

I'd strongly recommend the Camerons product. I've had one for nearly 20 years and love, love, love it. There have never been any issues, for me, with the size of what was smoked in it.

The recommendation from Camerons regarding over-sized foods is to, instead of using the slide-on lid, tent with heavy-duty foil. I've done that many, many times with 100% success.

I addition to the large Camerons smoker, I have their smaller one that comes in handy doing smaller quantities of veggies or cheese.

I think I really want one of these. Don't have a regular oven.

Like the verticle space of the Nordic Ware but not fond of non-stick cooking surface.

Last edited:
Again, I can't endorse the Cameron's product any stronger. It's a fantastic cooking tool and use it about once per month. Our favorite is smoking a pork butt that becomes awesome pulled pork...nearly a duplicate of our region's dish.

Plus, as gadzooks already mentioned, the main pan makes a great deep pan for lasagna.

I'd strongly recommend the Camerons product. I've had one for nearly 20 years and love, love, love it. There have never been any issues, for me, with the size of what was smoked in it.

The recommendation from Camerons regarding over-sized foods is to, instead of using the slide-on lid, tent with heavy-duty foil. I've done that many, many times with 100% success.

I addition to the large Camerons smoker, I have their smaller one that comes in handy doing smaller quantities of veggies or cheese.

How do you do smoked cheese in a stovetop smoker? I would love to do smoked Gouda and mozzarella. I would really love learning from someone who has all the years of experience you have.

I have the Nordicware smoker.

Last edited:
Ok, Katie. I respect your opinion and have learned from your posts over the years. I'll order it today if I can find an assurance that it works on an induction burner. Or, in other words, does a magnet stick to it?

Katie - Do you have a recipe for smoked cheese? Thank you in advance.

I'm thinking of going with the Cameron Mini. 7" x 11" is probably big enough for a small pork butt, and 11 x 17 seems like a safety hazard on a single burner cooktop.

Katie, if you read this, does that make sense and what kind of wood smoke do you like on pork butt?

Thanks for everything.

I'd say get the larger one. We have both and the larger size should not pose any kind of hazard because the initial smoking is done on very, very low heat.

Most of the time when I smoke pork butt for barbecue purposes, I use hickory with a little oak, heavier on the hickory. Really gives the pork a good flavor.

I'd say get the larger one. We have both and the larger size should not pose any kind of hazard because the initial smoking is done on very, very low heat.

Most of the time when I smoke pork butt for barbecue purposes, I use hickory with a little oak, heavier on the hickory. Really gives the pork a good flavor.

Hmm... I was thinking you could just slow cook it for a few hours to completion. Probably not the right tool for that after all. Found some helpful information on this eGullet forum thread. Since I can't finish in an oven or on an outdoor barbeque, I guess I'd be limited to things like fish, chops, chicken pieces, etc.

skillet,,, I think you could "finish" it in the smoker, it is like a mini oven. I have done a whole spatchcocked chicken on the bbq and it turned out fine. I did make one mistake and didn't turn down the flame... oops, well, I'm sure I have a pic somewhere but can't find it. The chicken looked like it had been "bronzed" it was delish though. (and I won't say what the smoker's colour was, but it is fine, just "seasoned" LOL)

I have both sizes of the Cameron (ok, I indulged myself) and although the small one is perfect for most of the things I do for myself, the larger one is better for ... ta da!.... larger cuts. I also agree that it doesn't matter in so far as the size of the burner. I use the same burner for both smokers.

Thanks, everybody, especially Katie and Dragnlaw. Large Cameron with recipe guide and chips plus one pint each hickory and oak will be here Friday. :yum:

Thanks, everybody, especially Katie and Dragnlaw. Large Cameron with recipe guide and chips plus one pint each hickory and oak will be here Friday. :yum:

Can't wait until you get your new toy!! A whole new fun cooking world will open up now.

I did my weekly grocery shopping today and spied a 5-pound package of piggy ribs in the manager's special bin (aka sell today). They were only $5. What could I do? Yep. The smoker is at the ready and we'll enjoy some smoked loveliness tomorrow. And, WOW, there's still some of my Cajun potato salad left. Win! Win!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom