Induction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stock Pot

Senior Cook
For induction stovetops a magnet has to be able to stick to the bottom of the pan for it to work.

Of course cast iron and carbon steel. Most stainless steel AllClad pans. Presto brand stainless steel pressure cookers work. I have a nice set of Bourgeat restaurant pans that work and also a set of Tramontina stainless pans that work. And a KitechenAid frying pan.

Does anyone know of any others?

I am about to swap from gas to induction when I renovate my kitchen and so I have looked into this question in some detail. Being in Belgium I favour local products and am lucky enough to have two of the greats not so far away (Falk, being copper, will be retired). That leaves at the moment Demeyere who have a huge selection of fiendishly expensive pans that are supposed to be as good as it gets on induction.

If anyone can suggets better I am very keen to hear as I only have a month more to wait before I have to take the plunge into pretty well a complete new set of pans.

Andrew

I love carbon steel pans. Especially after you've used them long enough so they build up that seasoned finish. It's also my favorite metal for kitchen knives, although you really have to look around to find them.

I love my Debuyer, just have to make sure the knife and cookware killer doesn't try to wash them.

For induction stovetops a magnet has to be able to stick to the bottom of the pan for it to work.

Of course cast iron and carbon steel. Most stainless steel AllClad pans. Presto brand stainless steel pressure cookers work. I have a nice set of Bourgeat restaurant pans that work and also a set of Tramontina stainless pans that work. And a KitechenAid frying pan.

Does anyone know of any others?

Induction stoves do not need the metal to be magnetic. Rather, they do have to have iron content, such as Cast Iron, Enameled Cast Iron, carbon steel, magnetic and non-magnetic stainless steel, and mineral steel.

Induction stoves work by creating a magentic field that expands and collapses through the cooking vessel. Any time, a magnetic field moves through a conductor, it creates an electrical current. Or, if you pass a conductor through a stationary magnetic filed, it creates that same electrical current. This is how generators, dynamos, and magnetos work to create usable electriclal energy. They pass copper wire through a magnetic field as the wires spin.

The reason compper and aluminum pans won't work on an induction stove is that their conductivity is too good. The natural resistance of iron based metals creates heat as an electrical current passes through it. Transformers are used in an induction stove to create the magnetic field that induces eddy currents in the iron-based pan. The resistance of the pan to those eddy currents causes metal to heat. Induction is the property of creating electricity by either passing a conductor through a magnetic field, or a magnetic field through a conductor. Hence the name, induction stove.

You can use non-magnetic stainless steel on an inductive stove just fine.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Induction stoves do not need the metal to be magnetic.

The burner is the equivalent of a copper coil of in an electric motor. The magnetic field is rapidly alternated between positive and negative reversing polarity of the electric current. When a ferrous metal pan comes in contact with the coil (put the pan on the burner) the molecules in the steel become excited by the rapidly changing current which generates heat.

The bottom of the pan must be constructed of ferrous metal for this process to occur. This why plastic, copper, or ceramic will not work on an induction burner.

Magnets will only stick to ferrous metal, thus this is the ultimate test of functionality of a pan on induction burners.

Just guessing. Is it possible that non-magnetic stainless steel doesn't have enough of an iron content to make the induction work?

The burner is the equivalent of a copper coil of in an electric motor. The magnetic field is rapidly alternated between positive and negative reversing polarity of the electric current. When a ferrous metal pan comes in contact with the coil (put the pan on the burner) the molecules in the steel become excited by the rapidly changing current which generates heat.

The burner is a copper winding, probably around a ferrous metal core that will concentrate the magnetic lines of flux. It is analogous to a single winding of a transformer, not the armature of a motor. The pan represents the other winding in which the eddy currents are to be induced.

The bottom of the pan must be constructed of ferrous metal for this process to occur. This why plastic, copper, or ceramic will not work on an induction burner.

Magnets will only stick to ferrous metal, thus this is the ultimate test of functionality of a pan on induction burners.

I understand this. But unless there is a safety switch that senses the magnetic property of the stove, non-magnetic stainless steel will still work, due to the properties of induction, and resistance of the ferrous metal. Non-magnetic stainless steel is still made from iron, with chromium and nickel, and other elements added. It still is electrically conductive, though it is a poor electrical conductor. Please see the following URL: Stainless Steel - Magnetic Properties

If there is a safety built into the induction unit that senses the magnetic properties of the pan sitting on its surface, I could understand why such a unit would not work with non-magnetic, or austentic stainless steel. Otherwise, from a physics standpoint, the austentic, or 300 series steels should work just fine.

I believe this point is moot though, as SS pans are made of magnetic stainless steel. I'm just saying...

And magnets do stick to enameled cast iron pans just fine. I have also seen advertisements for such pans that state they will work on an induction stove.
Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Ya got me. Good thing I love cooking with cast iron and carbon steel because those pans work great. btw, if you live in USA, Walmart has a great deal on enameled cast iron pans made by Tramontina, who are a very well respected Brazilian mfg. For example, 6.5 qt. Dutch Oven for $35, comparable to Le Crueset models selling for $265+. You order online and choose the "ship to store" option and there is no shipping fee.

Just guessing. Is it possible that non-magnetic stainless steel doesn't have enough of an iron content to make the induction work?

Austentic stainless steel has about the same amount of iron in it that magentic stainless steel contains. In fact, if heated to around 700 degrees F., or cold worked, such as by rolling or extruding, it will become magnetic.

And as for the workhorse of the stove being like the winding on the armature of the motor, that isn't exactly correct either. The winding in the stove is analogous to the primary winding in a transformer, with the pan acting like the secondary winding, where the current is to be induced. The part about the alternating current is correct. I creates the expanding and collapsing magnetic field that cuts the pan metal, thereby inducing eddy currents that create heat because of the pour electrical conductivity of the ferrous metal.

Please see the following URL for more info about austentic steels and their properties - Stainless Steel - Magnetic Properties.

My point is probably moot though, as I don't know of any cooking vessels maid of austentic SS.

And magnets will stick to enameled CI pans just fine. I have seen advertisements that state that these pans will work with induction stoves.

Unless there is a safety sensor that senses the magnetic properties of the pan sitting on the burner, I don't know why non-magnetic stainless wouldn't work on an induction stove. Aluminum and copper won't create enough heat, as they are great electrical conductors. That's why they are used in all kinds of wiring, including high power transmission lines. And the induction of current is evident in dynamos, generators, magnetos, and alternators, where a copper wound rotor is spun through the fields of permanent magnets to generate electrical current that powers our homes, industries, and cars.

Simply stated, it is the ability to have a current induced through the conductor, and the natural resistivity to that current, exhibited by iron and steel that make cooking with induction stoves possible.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

Sorry about posting three times on this subject. I didn't see the 2nd post go through, and thought that I'd accidentally erased it instead of posting it.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Heh heh, no - this is how we learn. Like you say, it is some safety feature, probably to protect the appliance. If it is magnetic then they know it is ok. If not then maybe yes and maybe no.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom