"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Question Insulated cookie sheet question

Hello everyone...

I have a question. I'm going to be posting two different questions in two different areas because I think it will be the best way to go about handling this. You'll see when I explain what I'm about to do here.

Okay here is my first situation. I have an insulated cookie sheet and I absolutely love it. It works wonderful and I never have had an issue with it. Why I am posting is I have a question on what to do with this recipe. When I use my cookie sheet, I don't have to do anything to it as far as putting Pam cooking spray, shortening, etc on it because of how it is made.

Now for this recipe it is saying to use either parchment paper or tin foil. I am assuming that has something to do with building the heat exchange to what is being cooked and also helping the removal when it comes to taking it from the sheet itself. Feel free to let me know if I am not on the right track but I am trying to understand how the cooking is being completed.

As I said I will be making another post immediately after this because the cookie I will be baking is asking for an ingredient which I don't have.

I greatly appreciate anyone's help with this and my other question as I would like to make them sometime in the next day or so. Oh, I almost forgot to mention, I am making biscotti.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
The parchment would be used to allow easy removal of the cookies from the cookie sheet.

Sometimes when I use parchment paper, I just slip the whole sheet (cookies and all) onto my cooling rack. This frees up my cookie sheet to cool before I place any more raw cookies on it.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I use my silpat for cookies.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I think what you're asking is can you use your insulated cookie sheet as is without tin foil or parchment paper. I would say it depends upon what kind of cookie it is. Most will be fine directly on a non-stick insulated cookie sheet. Fragile, lacy type of cookies might really need the paper because some of them really stick to the pan as they cool. (Actually, I use a silpat too but it works just like parchment paper.)
Old 02-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
The parchment would be used to allow easy removal of the cookies from the cookie sheet. Sometimes when I use parchment paper, I just slip the whole sheet (cookies and all) onto my cooling rack. This frees up my cookie sheet to cool before I place any more raw cookies on it.
Okay at this time all I have is tin foil. Is the use of tin foil going to be okay with it being used on the insulated cookie sheet as that's all I've got right now? I don't have any other type of cookie sheet.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
You'll be fine. Go ahead and use the foil.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I think what you're asking is can you use your insulated cookie sheet as is without tin foil or parchment paper. I would say it depends upon what kind of cookie it is. Most will be fine directly on a non-stick insulated cookie sheet. Fragile, lacy type of cookies might really need the paper because some of them really stick to the pan as they cool. (Actually, I use a silpat too but it works just like parchment paper.)
If you visit the cookie section, I started a 2nd thread which I asked a question using this cookie sheet as I'm making anise biscotti. Yes you are correct however. I am curious if I need to have tin foil on it since it is an insulated piece of cookware.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I think Katie is right - use the foil on your cookie sheet. If you discover that there is nothing on the foil (the biscotti doesn't stick at all), then make the next batch without it. Oooooh, and be sure and tell us how they came out because they sound yummy!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I think Katie is right - use the foil on your cookie sheet. If you discover that there is nothing on the foil (the biscotti doesn't stick at all), then make the next batch without it. Oooooh, and be sure and tell us how they came out because they sound yummy!
Okay. Oh I surely will let everyone know how they work out and give the recipe if they work out well with my husband. He seems to be the person who tests everything and gives it the go ahead for the yes or no. Will be in the next day or so when I make them but will be in touch. Thanks for your input everyone!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I'm curious to see how this works for you. I was thinking the point of the foil wasn't for sticking but for easy removal so you can lift them off the pan, cut the dough and put back on the pan for the second baking. All recipes I've seen for biscotti are twice baked.