"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 06-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer
You will not go wrong with All Clad as I am sure you already realize from this thread and from your own research. It is expensive stuff though and a good chunk of that cost is for the name alone. That is not to say that it is not worth it. All Clad performs well and looks very slick. You can find pans that perform just as well, but maybe don't look as cool or don't have the All Clad name and for a lot less $$$.

That being said, I shelled out the dough for a few pieces of All Clad and I am happy I did so.

Like Andy mentioned, look for Tri Ply pans. The will perform the best. Next best will be the disk on the bottom like what Kelly is talking about. If you have the money then go for the Tri Ply. If not then don't worry about getting the disk bottom type. Those can still be excellent.

As for the different lines of All Clad, I think skilletlicker hit the nail on the head. The difference, from what I can tell, is cosmetic. The will all perform basically the same. There is not enough copper in the copper core line to really make a difference. I went with the SS because I like the look.

A stockpot is one pot that I probably would not spend a lot of money on. You can get an inexpensive stockpot that will work perfectly. Kelly makes a great point about the width of the opening of this type of pot. A tall narrow stockpot is generally better than a short wide one for the reasons he mentioned.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Kelly, some of the smaller pans or pans with small disks on the bottom such as the skillet with its curved sides, run the risk of a full flame's extending beyond the edge of the disk and heating the single ply stainless directly.

As SS does such a poor job of heat distribution, a hot spot is created where the flame hits the SS and burns (scorches) the food in the pan.

I had a set of Cuisinart Everyday (disk bottom like the Wolfgang Puck stuff) that gave me that problem so I got rid of it and switched to tri-ply, some of which is All-Clad. My daughter has the old set and has no problem on her electric stove.

I'm not dissing the WP stuff, just trying to point out a possible drawback for gas stove users. Nor am I suggesting that gas is better than electric for stovetops. Both deliver heat to the pot and you can cook great meals on both. It's just a matter of getting used to the tools you use.

My sister has the electric version of my gas stove (same brand and model). Her large burners deliver a lot more heat than my "high-output" gas burners.

I felt kind of silly after I posted, and realized you were talking about the food scorching. Duh!

It's just that I have had no problems at all with scorching food, so that was the furthes thing from my mind. And yes, I realize at this point, you're probably rolling your eyes and saying "I'm talking about cooking with gas, dummy!" I don't blame you, but please read on.

Does the cookware you are talking about have a disk that covers the entire bottom of the pan? It would seem to me from your description that it does not, and leaves at least part of the bottom stainless exposed. I can certainly understand why such a design would lead to scorching on a gas burner, and it seems to me that such a design wouldn't be the best even on electric burners.

However, as I said, the disk on all the WP stuff covers the entire bottom of the pans, so I can't imagine turning a gas burner up high enough that flames would get beyond it and come in contact with the sides of the pan. As I also said, I've never used them on a gas range, so If I am wrong, please let me know. I'm not trying to argue with you; please forgive me if this seems to be the case. It's just that this set has been such a great value for me, and I would hate to see someone dismiss it out-of-hand because of a problem that might not apply.

Thanks for your patience.

KellyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
I don't see this as arguing, Kelly. No problem.

Yes, the disks cover the entire bottoms of the pans. However, if you have a small pan, such as a one or two quart saucepan, the diameter of the pan and, therefore, the diameter of the disk on the bottom would be smaller than the reach of the gas flame.

This was especially a problem with the 10" skillet. The skillet measures 10" across the top. the sides taper down to the bottom which measures maybe 6.5" across. The disk on the bottom can only be 6.5" in diameter. The gas flames easily extended beyond that, causing scorching.

Yes, you could use a smaller burner or turn the flame down, but then you lose (or limit) the ability to do high heat cooking.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote