Iron Skillet-preserving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dodycam

Assistant Cook
I've had three irion skillets that all keep sticking the meat to. I've been told that you could oil them, then bake them.

What kind of oil would I use, and how high of heat do I use, and what tempature do I put them at?

Can anyone tell me how to do this? :mellow:

Last edited:
The other issue is how you aer using the skillets. heat them hot, season and put in the meat...it should sizzle...don't try to move or turn the meat for several minutes until the brown has formed, then it will release without sticking if you give it a little jiggle with tongs. (don't use a fork)

Don't ever, ever, ever wash your iron skillet. After you're done using it, apply some oil and coarse salt to your skillet, and scrape free any bits or pieces in your pan using an old (and very thick) dish towel or rag. This way you will not undo any of the seasoning you have worked so hard for, and will never have to worry about rust. As an added bonus, a well seasoned pan or skillet will transfer the seasoned flavor to anything that you cook in it.

I forgot to tell you that when I sealed my shillets, I actually had like a pool of hardened oil in two of my pans. One is still really shiny but the other two look scary. Should I turn them upside down and redo them? or try using them first to see what happens? What happens when I (put too much oil) in them? I used Crisco, is that alright?

Back
Top Bottom