"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

I've had a 12" CI skillet I've been using for about 5 years and sometimes wash it with soap. It's well seasoned and survives the soap well. I'm not ready to put it in the DW yet.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Not sure if this is the thread I should bump or not. I have 3 CI skillets. Even though I clean each of them the same way, one of them always sticks. Should I put it in the DW and re-season it in the oven? It is not a Lodge pan--the other two are.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Not sure if this is the thread I should bump or not. I have 3 CI skillets. Even though I clean each of them the same way, one of them always sticks. Should I put it in the DW and re-season it in the oven? It is not a Lodge pan--the other two are.
I have but do not use the DW for any cast iron. To thoroughly clean a cast iron pan in preparation for re seasoning I either use a stiff and then a softer bristled steel wire cup brush on an electric drill and then (or instead), LOTS (several hours) of elbow grease and upwards of 1/2 dozen Brillo or SOS steel wool pads.
I had to resort to the above described to rectify the crummy, gummy and pitted finish on a new 7 quart Lodge 'pre seasoned' Dutch Oven. Doing so resulted in a finish almost as good as that on our Griswold and Wagner cast iron ware.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
You could bake the CI at a higher temp to burn off the seasoning, then re-season. It might be easier on the pan than the DW because you wouldn't have issues with rust or anything like that...
Old 09-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I wouldn't use the DW either. Many years ago I tried putting one of my enamelled CI Dutch ovens in the DW. The unenamelled bottom got rusty. I tried again and pulled it out as soon as the cycle was over. It was rusty again. Never tried that again.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #36
Sous Chef

If it's a cheap casting, you probably will have to live with it. I have a cast iron skillet that been working great for 55 years. If it needs a good cleaning I boil some water in it with a dab of dish soap, rinse it, wipe it out with paper towel and turn it up over a flame for a few seconds and leave it to dry. Cast iron doesn't like the dishwasher and most pieces will have instructions not to wash in a dishwasher.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

I have had it about 30 years--it isn't branded, so not sure what kind it is. It is only recently that it has been sticking (last couple of years)...since the DH got his hands on it and washed it with dishwashing detergent. I guess I better plan on hitting it with the Dremel...sigh. Oh, maybe the DH could tackle it in his machine shop--he has all those tools for working with metal...hmmmmm.....and then I could re-season it.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
I have had it about 30 years--it isn't branded, so not sure what kind it is. It is only recently that it has been sticking (last couple of years)...since the DH got his hands on it and washed it with dishwashing detergent. I guess I better plan on hitting it with the Dremel...sigh. Oh, maybe the DH could tackle it in his machine shop--he has all those tools for working with metal...hmmmmm.....and then I could re-season it.
If it's a rough casting, he should be able to refinish it with a surface grinder. He should be able to get it flat and as smooth as a baby's butt. Would help if the exterior bottom and interior bottom were cut parallel and your stove's heating surface was level; this promotes even distribution of shortening liquids.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh he's got a surface grinder. He has 4 or 5 lathes (I lose track of what is in that building), and all kinds of metal-working toys (just got another DRO). Unfortunately, he's rebuilding/refurbishing/modifying a stone-cutting machine right now and that is keeping his shop quite busy. Then he has to design and fabricate an autofeed on the guy's punch (?) press. But since he ruined the pan's seasoning, well, enough said.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Oh he's got a surface grinder. He has 4 or 5 lathes (I lose track of what is in that building), and all kinds of metal-working toys (just got another DRO). Unfortunately, he's rebuilding/refurbishing/modifying a stone-cutting machine right now and that is keeping his shop quite busy. Then he has to design and fabricate an autofeed on the guy's punch (?) press. But since he ruined the pan's seasoning, well, enough said.
Do not make me jealous. Next you're gonna tell me he getting into powdered metal parts fabrication using 3d printing technology.'