Is it ruined?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
My stove top grill (cast iron) looked like it needed attention. It's been sitting in a drawer for a long time so I figured I'd re-season it. I brushed it with veg oil and put it in my outdoor grill on high for about maybe 1/2 hour. When I checked on it it was very hot and the paint had burned off half of it and the paint was bubbling on the other half. I let it cool down and scraped it with the wire grill brush. It smells of petroleum which I assume is the paint that did not peel off completely. Maybe it's not paint but just a coating on the pan. At any rate the pan is mostly a gray color instead of black. It's lighter in color than I remember it being when it was new so I don't think it just burned off its seasoning. Now my question is do I dare to try to use this pan again? Is it ruined or can I try to season it at a lower temp and still use it. I don't want to poison my family (well not all of them anyway:LOL:) Should I just chalk it up to experience and toss the pan?

The grill got too ot nd burned off the seasoning.

Put it back into the grill and bake it on high until everything is a uniform grey. Brush it off clean. Preheat your oven to 350º F, lightly coat the grill with vegetable shortening and put it in the hot oven for an hour then turn off the oven and leave the grill in there to cool completely. This may be repeated one more time.

A sheet of aluminum foil on the shelf below the grill will catch any drips.

What about the petroleum odor, I am worried that I will harm my family.

I think you may be thinking you are smelling petroleum, but really it's just good ol unseasoned iron. Raw iron has a smell to it that you can feel in your fillings. I'm almost tasting it just thinking about it.

My stove top grill (cast iron) looked like it needed attention. It's been sitting in a drawer for a long time so I figured I'd re-season it. I brushed it with veg oil and put it in my outdoor grill on high for about maybe 1/2 hour. When I checked on it it was very hot and the paint had burned off half of it and the paint was bubbling on the other half. I let it cool down and scraped it with the wire grill brush. It smells of petroleum which I assume is the paint that did not peel off completely. Maybe it's not paint but just a coating on the pan. At any rate the pan is mostly a gray color instead of black. It's lighter in color than I remember it being when it was new so I don't think it just burned off its seasoning. Now my question is do I dare to try to use this pan again? Is it ruined or can I try to season it at a lower temp and still use it. I don't want to poison my family (well not all of them anyway:LOL:) Should I just chalk it up to experience and toss the pan?

I'm confused JF. The CI stove top grill has /had paint on it?

No, it is not enamaled. And it probably wasn't paint but it has a petroleum odor. Whatever it was it came from the factory that way. Perhaps it was the factory seasoning.

Unless the pan is cracked, it is not ruined. If it were mine, I would clean it off to bare metal and restart. There are any number of sites showing you how to do this. My best guess is that the seasoning oil was too thickly applied. IMO it is better to season with very thin layers applied a few times. If it is too thick, it will gum up intsead of polymerizing.

I'm with Andy, I think you are smelling the iron. Bake it once more, let it cool and go after it with course salt and a halved lemon. I've had good luck with this combo and some elbow grease to get mine clean. Use good old crisco to re-season ... I put a thick layer on (like it's all white), put in the oven and bake for an hour or so, wipe out and let cool. Cook with it and you'll know if you need more oil.

Burning the griddle in the gas grill on full blast will remove everything. All you have to do is brush off the ash. Then season it in the oven as described with crisco.

Introducing lemon to naked cast iron will cause it to rust.

...Introducing lemon to naked cast iron will cause it to rust.

I've never had this happen, not that it wouldn't, I've just never had it happen. I also don't use the grill, I use my oven so maybe I'm not getting everything off. I also think the lemon and salt get rid of some of the char flavor (that could all be in my mind though :angel:). After scrubbing I do wash it and dry in a warm oven before I coat it with crisco.

I skip the Crisco in favor of bacon squeezin's. Rub bacon juice all over the pan, place it upside down on your oven rack with a cookie sheet underneath to catch any drips, and bake it at 450F until it stops smoking. Then turn off the oven and let it cool in place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom