Is my cast iron ruined?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, so here's the story in a nut shell..

My mom just gave me a cast iron dutch oven a couple months ago. I seasoned it, used it once (loved it), then loaned it to a family member (mistake...) She apparently made some kind of stew, kept the leftovers in the dutch oven, and left it in the fridge for around 4 weeks. When it was finally removed, it was filled to the rim with mold. She's apologized, and offered to replace it, but I just wanted to know if it was for sure ruined. I know youre not suppose to clean cast iron with soap.. and i've scrubed it with hot water the best that I can, but there's still some redish spots on it from the stew she made. If I scrub it again real good, and re season it, is it safe to use?

Thanks for any help.

-Crissy :)

Scour the DO clean. Use soap, BKF, scouring pads, sandpaper. Get it nice and clean, then reseason it. It will be as good as new.

Oh great, thanks Andy. For some reason, I thought that if you even used soap on it once it would ruin it. Makes sense, as long as you re season it. Thanks!

Soap won't ruin it. The worst it will do is remove the seasoning. You can always re-season.

It's perfectly fine to use soap on seasoned cast iron.

Scrub that baby out with soap and hot water.

I'd disinfect it by putting it in a hot oven, too. Maybe take that opportunity to reseason if need be.

You can definitely fix it! But I bet it will be a cold day in He!! before you loan that family member one of your good pots again! :wacko:

Make them replace it!!! Then you have two!!! Mwah ha ha! (please fill in appropriate evil laugh sound effect)

lol Jenny, she said she just forgot about it... Chefjune was right.. this particular family member will NOT be getting anymore dishes from me!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom