"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Is there a difference in the brand of muffin tins?

I've been looking at muffin pans and I've seen them range from about $8-$20. Is there really a difference between them? Thanks for the help.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Yes, there are differences in cooking characteristics depending on the material it's made of and the finish on the metal.

I don't think you have to spend a fortune in bakeware in most cases. Buy a fairly sturdy muffin tin and bake some muffins. If you have to adjust your cooking time and or temperature a little, that's fairly easy to do.

I'd look for dark metal muffin tins. Some are also available with a non-stick coating.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Head Chef

You bet there is! I've had several over the years, including Teflon-coated junk, and IMHO the best, hands-down, is Chicago Metallic Commercial Bakeware:

It's made of heavy gauge aluminized steel that will literally last a lifetime. It's not non-stick -- but in my experience nothing sticks to it when I use a little spritz of Crisco non-stick baking spray (it has flour in it). Muffins turn out perfect every time, well browned, all evenly cooked, and cleanup is a snap.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Head Chef

Sorry AndyM but I disagree with you. I hate the dark metal bakeware. In my experience, I have found that it burned the outside of what I was baking and left the inside raw. Lowering the temperature and baking longer never worked for me.

I agree with Scotch. I would prefer Chicago Metal, too. I either use paper liners or grease the cups.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
Cook

I have an aluminum muffin tin that I adore, although I rarely make muffins. I like it much better than the silicone one that it replaced.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I wish I could recommend what I've been using for years. I got the muffin pan in 1953. I know it's some form of aluminum but, beyond that, I couldn't tell you more. I DO know it's cooked more muffins and cupcakes than I can count.

Someone gave me a Teflon-coated muffin pan one time. Mediocre at best. I still greased and floured it.

My only recommendation would be to be sure the material is nice and heavy, regardless of whether or not it's light or dark.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I based my recommendation on this.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
Head Chef

I've gotta agree with Scotch. I like the heaviest commercial muffin tins.

They don't warp easily like the thinner metals either.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yes, there are differences in cooking characteristics depending on the material it's made of and the finish on the metal.

I don't think you have to spend a fortune in bakeware in most cases. Buy a fairly sturdy muffin tin and bake some muffins. If you have to adjust your cooking time and or temperature a little, that's fairly easy to do.

I'd look for dark metal muffin tins. Some are also available with a non-stick coating.
I am referring to stuff that looks like this:
http://www.bakedeco.com/bimages/K621265.jpg

and this

http://common.csnstores.com/Kaiser-B...~KSR1362_l.jpg

or is just black on the inside. It is lousy bakeware and I highly recommend not to buy it. I have tried and nothing has ever turned out right for me. As I said, burnt or overbrowned outside and raw inside. Dropping the temp of the oven didn't work for me.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #10
Head Chef

....And don't even get me started with silicon bakeware. I don't know anyone who likes that stuff. The baked goods tear and stick; it is too flimsy.