"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Cook

thank you all for your imputs. This was my Wife's Grandma's, which I think was even passed down from another generation before. So I am facinated that with all the computers and technology we have today, that only last a few months, one of the best things in life can be a pan that is generations old.

All i have for oils/fats are vegetable oil, canola oil (which I think is the main ingredient for vegetable oil, so it says on the list of ingredients), Corn Oil, and drained hamburger fat.

Which of those would be the best for seasoning, or make the seasoning stronger?

All I know was I had that thing so well non-stick, I successfully cooked rice in it, and then was able to get all the rice out with no problem and then make Chinese fried rice, which rice has given me lots of trouble in the past and still occasionally does.

But now things I cook want to stick in it.b Thats why I want to do something with it, either strip it or apply more seasoning. What would be the better of the two, considering the description and history of it.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Question to Salt&Pepper, what makes flax seed oil your go to seasoning oil? I have only ever used melted Crisco. Am I missing something?

Old 06-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

As I said before, if it's not rusting, it's still protected. No need to strip it.

Use corn or canola oil and follow the directions I posted earlier.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
Question to Salt&Pepper, what makes flax seed oil your go to seasoning oil? I have only ever used melted Crisco. Am I missing something?
It's a high heat oil and gives a hard thick finish that does not ware down. But you must season 4 or 5 times. It's lots of layers that do not break down between seasonings. Bake,cool bake,cool etc. Yes it can take a few days to get the proper finish, but the end result is worth the time for a non stick finish.
I have a few pans and dutch ovens which I use veg oil in to season. The reason is that these pans and ovens are used with tomatoes or some acidic foods like lemon and such, which will break down the seasoned finish. I also use cast aluminum for high acid food.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
Head Chef

If you season it in the oven, I've had failures trying to use temps like 350F. The pan comes out sticky and splotchy. One of the best suggestions I read here was to put it in the oven upside down coated with crisco or similar and turn on the cleaning cycle. I didn't put it on cleaning cycle, but I did crank up the heat to 500F for 3 hours. No stickyness or splotchy-ness. 350F temps failed me every time.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
If you season it in the oven, I've had failures trying to use temps like 350F. The pan comes out sticky and splotchy. One of the best suggestions I read here was to put it in the oven upside down coated with crisco or similar and turn on the cleaning cycle. I didn't put it on cleaning cycle, but I did crank up the heat to 500F for 3 hours. No stickyness or splotchy-ness. 350F temps failed me every time.

The cleaning cycle of the oven will burn off all the seasoning!

350F works fine if you don't put too much fat on the pan. Stickiness usually results from there being too much fat applied to the pan surface. You only need enough oil to make the metal look wet. Then wipe off as much as uou can with a dry paper towel and bake.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I've always seasoned my CA at 400 degrees. Why? Because that is how mom did it. I actually do it on the grill because I don't like the smoke in the house. I use whatever shortening or oil I have. It works great. One of the kids put my favorite 8 inch CA frying pan in the DW once. Part of the seasoning came off. I just re-seasoned about three times and it worked as expected again.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Here is a website I found that gives easy instructions for stripping seasoning from a cast iron skillet, so you can re-season it. Stripping seasoning from cast iron - Seasoned Advice

Good luck.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
Cook

I've seen season 4-5 times, and I've seen stripping. So this is my scenareo...

There are two burnt food spots on there, about the size of a fingernail, that no matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to scrub off. what would be the best action for that.

The burn spots are flat and smooth, but still rubs off.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post

Andy's right. The cleaning cycle is how you strip a cast iron skillet.

Its also a great way to start a fire in your oven if your pan is coated in fat.