Is this pan ok for Roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
OK - I have two large roaster pans my mom bought through out the years. Sometimes I think it might be too big for the small chickens I cook for my husband and I.

I also have one of these pans, or at least I think it resembles this one. I don't really use it much. i have a lot of glassware types of pans that I use in the oven - have many different sizes.

But anyways, can I use the pan in the link to roast a chicken in? I mean I don't see any reason why I couldn't.

Amazon.com: 9 x 13" Nonstick Baking pan cake roast lasagna: Kitchen & Dining

It says cake, roast, and lasagna, so I don't see why not. I often cook chicken in a similar pan.

:)Barbara

It says cake, roast, and lasagna, so I don't see why not. I often cook chicken in a similar pan.

Do you put it on the stove after to make some gravy?

I want to try a smaller pan for roasting a chicken since I'm thinking maybe it's not wise to cook it in a big AS@ roasting pan that will fit 2-3 small chickens LOL.

This pan will work fine. A smaller pan will also work, but not much smaller. I use a quarter-sheet pan for small chickens. It's plain aluminum and 9"x13"x1" deep.

If you have an oven-proof saute pan, you could use that to roast a small chicken.

I want to try a smaller pan for roasting a chicken since I'm thinking maybe it's not wise to cook it in a big AS@ roasting pan that will fit 2-3 small chickens LOL.
I generally transfer the drippings to a saucepan (using a little water and spatula to get everything from the baking pan) to make gravy.

I generally transfer the drippings to a saucepan (using a little water and spatula to get everything from the baking pan) to make gravy.

I would think you would end up missing out on some of the good bits in the first pan.

that pan has a non stick coating, and would not create sucs for you to deglaze into gravy...other than that it'll be fine for single chicken roasting.

Most cake pans are too thin to use on top the stove for gravy. They scorch. I would use Barbara's plan. You won't lose any of the brown bits and "goodness" if you use a spatula and some water (or wine) to get the goodies off the bottom.

You are correct. Roasts cook best (and give you the best chance for good gravy/sauce) when you use a pan that's just a bit larger than the meat you are roasting.

I believe it's called "fond" if it's going to be used to make a sauce.

These deposits, known as ‘sucs’ (from the French word for ‘juices’) are made up of caramelised sugars, carbohydrates and proteins, and are full of concentrated flavour.

Adding this liquid to the pan, still over heat, helps you to scrape all of the 'sucs' from the bottom of the pan. Use a wooden spoon or whisk for best results.

This resulting liquid, known as a ’fond’ (French for ‘foundation’) can be served as it is, once seasoned to taste.

Chez RD: Deglazing Sucs

Deglazing (cooking) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Deglazing: the secret to a perfect sauce | Essential Ingredient

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom