ISO a recommendation for good bowls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Sorry about putting this into the "cookware" forum, but there wasn't a "placesettings" one...:rolleyes:

I need a recommendation for bowls.
I specifically am looking for bowls for individual use when I serve either pastas, soups or stews. I have some from my Grandma that I love, but they just don't hold enough for a good-sized serving.

I did have some great ones from Crate & Barrel, but nearly all of them have been tossed, due to excessive chipping.

Do any of you have bowls that will hold "man-sized" portions?;)
Also, if you can provide a photo or link, it would be so appreciated!

Thanks!!

I have a bowl fetish - some of my favorites I will have to look on the bottom to see what they are. Do you have a Tuesday Morning? I have found some there.

I do have one quite close. But it seems the bowls that are the right shape are such chippers~!

I did find some awesome Portugese ribbed bowls last Thanksgiving, but they were serving pieces. I wish I could find individual ones! (and if only I could remember where I got them!)

Yes, unless you are going for something other than porcelain they ARE chippers!

My mind is a blank right now. I can't think of anything I have, except metal, plastic, and some thicker clear glass ones that wouldn't chip. But they aren't necessarily man-size.

manly bowls

my favorite bowl to eat out of ever was a Waechtersbach serving bowl.

Not sure why but love the shape and the base on them as well as the quality of the ceramic.I think techinally it was a serving bowl but I always used it for meal size salads and big soups etc. They make a bunch of different size bowls. Sadly we had only one and I broke it. I recently scored a mostly complete dinner set of thier stuff at a thrift store with the little cereal bowls...for little bowls they are nice too guess they just make a good bowl. *Note to self order large bowl soon

Waechtersbach USA - Waechtersbach

Asian Noodle Bowls also work well. The only other suitable bowls I ever had were non branded noodle bowls from an asian market (Pearl River NYC)...they tend to have nice big deep bowls

I hear you on the little bowl problem I hade little bowls that you cant keep food in. If left to my own devices I usually eat right out of an old Pyrex. My favorite "dishes" are also my old glass pie plates.

Oh, jkath - if you're gonna keep throwing dem good bowls at DH you're gonna keep chippin' 'em! Get some Tupperware ... :LOL:

All seriousness aside .... I hate when any serving/service pieces chip and have to be tossed. I HATE to throw stuff away - especially if it has connections to food or the kitchen.

Anyway - I don't have any pictures or links or brand name suggestions ... I just have some experiences I will share. Look for "pasta" bowls - they are generally in the 3/4-1 qt size. Also, I found some bowls about the same size at an Asian market ... and they were really inexpensive.

This sounds stupid but check out Wal-Mart last time I was in there they had some very nice bowls just the right size for a large serving. All of my serving bowls are unbreakable french Glass, You can drop them on concrete and they will not break. I have had them
for the last 20 years, bought them at a restaurant supply store. Happy Hunting

A few years ago, we received new Pfalzgraf dishes and I was astonished at the size of the bowls! They aren't great for pasta but for soup, cereal, ice cream and pop-corn they are awesome! I'm not gentle with stuff either and I've only had one chip / break on me and that was in the moving process. If you have an outlet mall by you, they seem to be popping up there so you could probably find a set that would match the dishes you already have.
Good Luck!

(edited for spelling - ack!)

Last edited:
I have pasta dishes from Longaberger that match the rest of my service. I also have the new Pampered Chef Dots design and love 'em cuz they're fun. I'm sort of a dish geek, so I also have all sorts of things found at TJ Maxx and World Market. If you have a World Market, you might just find what you are looking for there, both in Asian styles and Italian markings. Look for a wide shallow bowl for pasta. Fun stuff!

I have had Corelle which gets too hot in the micro (have kids, will micro!), and Pfalzgraf, which chipped beyond belief.

I have Crate & Barrel's white square bowls (to go with my square set), but they are only 6". Sorry to hear they chipped.

I did some poking around on WS's site. There are a few you might check out, i.e. the chili bowls & Tunisian bowls.

Just as an example - There use to be a Mikasa outlet in my area, if you broke a dish or wanted to add some serving pieces. Depending on the manufacturer, w a little reaserch, you might be able to find some match-y pieces. for the set you like/have.

Pier 1 or Cost Plus may have what you're looking for. (I like the bowls that say "Pasta" inside.)

I have the oriental bowls, but they are small - soup serving size.

Here's a link to Mikasa. (The Italian Countryside w matching tureen looks pretty, & large.)
Mikasa: Serveware

Last edited:
I found some large soup bowls at Walgreens recently. They're simple stoneware bowls, off-white with a trim ring of either navy blue or brown. I bought two of each, at 99¢ each.

Back
Top Bottom