ISO advice on reseasoning a cast iron pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine says to remove the racks if you want them to stay shiny. Makes no difference to me, so I leave them in. I'm not going to use the self cleaner on the oven then spend a few pounds of elbow grease trying to clean stains off the racks. :rolleyes:

If I ever have to reseason a cast iron pan, it will be stripped in the oven first.

Same as mine. I've stripped off seasoning on two CI skillets by leaving them in the oven during self-cleaning. Once it was on purpose.

I leave my pizza stone in the oven during the self-cleaning cycle to clean it. Works great. I would see no problem with leaving a skillet on the floor of the oven.

Last edited:
Update: Just for grins, I sprayed the pan with Simple Green, put it in a plastic bag, and let it sit for 2 days. The Simple Green removed the thinnest seasoning, and a few minutes with a steel wool scouring pad removed some more. There is still some seasoning around the perimeter of the pan, but it's a lot thinner than it was. I'm going to give it another Simple Green / steel wool treatment and see what I end up with. I doubt that all of it will be removed, but if I can remove enough so that reseasoning will result in a smooth surface, I think I will be good.

Thanks, I usually do. That's probably why I am not married.

I'm surprised, I thought for sure you'd have married La Petite Filet. ;)

I reseason my pan, once in a great while, with elbow grease, steel wool, hot soapy water, more steel wool, more soapy water, dry it. Then oil it down inside and out and bake it.

Back
Top Bottom