"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2017, 07:05 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
After a bit of searching, I found this: How to Restore Vintage Cast Iron Pans | Serious Eats

Basically, spray Easy Off oven cleaner on it and seal it in a garbage bag for 24 hours. Then you can start over. If you dilute the lye leftovers with lots of water, you can put it down the sink.
I've seen that one before, as well as this one:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how...t-iron-skillet

As I mentioned, I don't want to deal with handling and disposal of hazardous materials. I think I'll give the scotchbrite scrub a try and see what happens. I don't have an emotional attachment to this pan, and can replace it with a $30 Lodge. A replacement rack for my Thermador wall oven is $70, so it's not worth the risk.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I think steel wool might work better, but you can start with the ScotchBrite and see how it goes.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #13
Sous Chef

tenspeed - I did the oven cleaner on a old pan and it worked great. I sprayed it very heavy, into a garbage bag for 2 days. took it out and used a scotch brite and bar keep helper and went to work on inside and out. It looks great. One thing I like about the old pans is that they are MUCH smoother than the current Lodge lineup. Smooth bottom pans now are upwards of $100. BTW the oven cleaner can be washed off in the sink.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #14
Senior Cook

If you just need a mild abrasive for around the edges, kosher salt is often recommended for that..
Old 10-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #15
Head Chef

This has been educational. According to Cornell University, 1.3 ounces of crystal drain cleaner (primarily sodium hydroxide, or lye) can kill most of the bacteria in a 1,000 gallon septic tank, and it will take more than 48 hours for the system to recover. However, Easy-Off contains less than 5% lye, so a small quantity shouldn't be too detrimental to the septic system. I think I'll give the Easy-Off method a try if steel wool or scotchbrite doesn't remove most of the seasoning. Then I'll have to dispose of the unused portion at hazardous waste day.

References are:

http://waterquality.cce.cornell.edu/...calsSeptic.pdf

https://householdproducts.nlm.nih.go...chas=TblBrands
Old 10-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

It all depends on how much scrubbing you want to do. I'd opt for the Easy-Off first then the scrubbing. Much easier that way.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #17
Master Chef

How about good old sandpaper?
Old 10-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The bottom and wall of the oven is metal. I'm not sure it's designed to have an extremely hot cast iron pan on it during the cleaning cycle.
Thyat makes no sense. Do you really believe the cast iron pan is going to get hotter than the interior of the oven?
Old 10-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Thyat makes no sense. Do you really believe the cast iron pan is going to get hotter than the interior of the oven?
Whatever. You do what you want.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Our self cleaning oven specifically states that racks should be removed before running the self cleaning cycle to avoid damaging them. The display flashes this when the cleaning cycle is selected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My sc oven doesn’t say that. The racks discolor but remain in working order.
Mine says to remove the racks if you want them to stay shiny. Makes no difference to me, so I leave them in. I'm not going to use the self cleaner on the oven then spend a few pounds of elbow grease trying to clean stains off the racks.

If I ever have to reseason a cast iron pan, it will be stripped in the oven first.

Tags
cast iron, seasoning