"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
Head Chef

ISO advice on reseasoning a cast iron pan

I have a cast iron skillet that I would like to reseason. It's a Wagner 1891, made in USA, purchased 30 - 35 years ago but not used in at least 15 years. The interior is still seasoned, although it's uneven around the periphery of the pan. The exterior has a brownish tinge, but no powdery rust. I'm thinking I can take some fine steel wool to the exterior. I would like to remove as much of the interior seasoning as possible and reseason. I've read other threads and it seems that scrubbing with a scotchbrite pad would work. Would it help if some other cleaner is used in conjunction with the scotchbrite pad? I know that I can strip it with oven cleaner, then soak in a vinegar solution, but handling and disposal is not desirable (we're on a septic system and are careful of what goes down the drain). I don't think that it requires a full restoration like a rusty garage sale special. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
Master Chef

Do you have, or know someone who has, a self-cleaning oven? Putting the cast iron in during the cleaning cycle will strip it down to bare metal.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Do you have, or know someone who has, a self-cleaning oven? Putting the cast iron in during the cleaning cycle will strip it down to bare metal.
This is the best way to remove ALL seasoning. You could also do it in a super hot charcoal or gas grill.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Our self cleaning oven specifically states that racks should be removed before running the self cleaning cycle to avoid damaging them. The display flashes this when the cleaning cycle is selected.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

My sc oven doesn’t say that. The racks discolor but remain in working order.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Mine does, too. The manual warns to remove the racks - it says they can be warped by the high temperature. When you start to set the cleaning cycle, the display flashes with a reminder to remove the racks first.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

After a bit of searching, I found this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/h...-cookware.html

Basically, spray Easy Off oven cleaner on it and seal it in a garbage bag for 24 hours. Then you can start over. If you dilute the lye leftovers with lots of water, you can put it down the sink.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #8
Master Chef

My oven also says to take racks out. Guess, what, I never do. No problem at all.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:15 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Our self cleaning oven specifically states that racks should be removed before running the self cleaning cycle to avoid damaging them. The display flashes this when the cleaning cycle is selected.
What does taking the racks out have to do with stripping cast iron? You just set the piece of cast iron on the bottom of the oven or lean it up against one wall. This also works for cleaning pizza stones.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:32 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

The bottom and wall of the oven is metal. I'm not sure it's designed to have an extremely hot cast iron pan on it during the cleaning cycle.

It's not a pizza oven made of brick.

Tags
cast iron, seasoning