ISO advice w/baking pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summerf

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am getting ready to start my christmas baking and I have quite a few squares to bake. I only have so many glass 8x8 and 9x9 glass pans and I was wondering if I could just some of the cheap tin foil-type pans at the dollar store. Would the squares bake as well as in glass pans.
Thanks for your help.
Summer:)

Experience and testing suggest you won't get the same result. Most likely, the side and bottom will not brown properly. If that's an issue, the aluminum may be a problem. It may also throw your time off. Goodwill stores often have used steel and glass baking pans very cheap.

But shared experience also suggests that results depend a lot on the particular recipe, and some will do just fine. I'd try to run the first couple thourgh in tin pans and see how they do, checking by some means other than time for doneness, temperature probe or toothpick.

I would use the aluminum pans, unless you are planning to do this on a regular basis. If you are going to be doing this again, buy the glass pans. The thrift store would be a good place to start.

I find things like quick breads, pumpkin and banana type breads do well in the foil pans, it helps them from over browning.

For things where browning is important foil may not be the best choice. Also things like cake where a more level top may not do as well, since even constant heat produces the best result. Good pans help negate the oven's temperature fluctuation.

Places like Biglots and other discounters sell the glass pans pretty cheap.

Back
Top Bottom