ISO advice w/pots and pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to ask, do you sell or work for a clay cookware company or somehow benefit from one?

no I do not. sahm, its in my intro. btw , real frittatas are supposed to be cooked partially on the stove and then baked in the oven. thats why clay or cast iron is a really good bet.

do I benefit from a clay company - umm, since I have a clay flameware skillet - then yes, I guess I do benefit, no more than someone who loves pyrex and benefits from the product.

also, for a lot of traditional dishes, like tagines and other dishes, do benefit from "traditional" cookware. thats not to say that a couple of metal pots and pans are useful, cuz they are. the best colanders are metal mesh. but some clay and cast irons are also very useful. for example, - the best begian and swedish waffle makers are used on the stovetop and are usually cast iron. they're hinged and have a handle and you flip it over.

the best foods are not not always cooked in 2 minutes. its worth waiting longer for delicious food. for example, couscous, takes 2 hours to make. usually 3 hours. Most delicious tagines, stews, bone broth soups takes hours to make. chili, pot roast, etc.

just my 50 cents.

...the best foods are not not always cooked in 2 minutes. its worth waiting longer for delicious food. for example, couscous, takes 2 hours to make. usually 3 hours. Most delicious tagines, stews, bone broth soups takes hours to make. chili, pot roast, etc.

just my 50 cents.

Your posts seem to suggest clay cookware is the only way to cook food slowly for a long period of time. That's clearly not true.

I cook exclusively in various metal cookware and often cook foods for hours when appropriate. The cook makes delicious food, not the cookware.

Your posts seem to suggest clay cookware is the only way to cook food slowly for a long period of time. That's clearly not true.

I cook exclusively in various metal cookware and often cook foods for hours when appropriate. The cook makes delicious food, not the cookware.

But cookware can make cooking easier. Which is why I have an assortment based mostly on fully clad stainless steel,which is probablythe most versatile cookware there is.

I make perfect frittatas in stainless skillets which perform very well on both the stovetop and in the oven. Sometimes I use a CI skillet.

Great stocks come from my SS stockpot. Excellent chili can be made in a large SS saucepan, which can also go into the oven. Most often I'll use a LC french oven for chili, though.

But to each his/her own :chef:

no I do not. sahm, its in my intro. btw , real frittatas are supposed to be cooked partially on the stove and then baked in the oven. thats why clay or cast iron is a really good bet.

Actually, a real fritatta is cooked on top of the stove, then put under the broiler, not baked in the oven. Baked in the oven would be a quiche or a soufflé.

I have fully clad stainless steel pots and pans literally hanging off my walls, and I also own a couple of cast iron skillets and a 5 quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven.

img_1004991_0_d8cd5ff5ef8d251c08d7d0d3495a2c3c.jpg

But my current go-to pan is the Calphalon 10-inch non-stick Everyday pan. I also bought a Calphalon 10-inch omelette pan which I use, but not as often as the appropriately named everyday pan. If you check out Amazon.com, they usually have a piece or two of Calphalon hard anodized aluminium pots and pans on sale at all times. I think they're a good investment and plan on adding more of them to my kitchen, one or two at a time.

Last edited:
Actually, a real fritatta is cooked on top of the stove, then put under the broiler, not baked in the oven. Baked in the oven would be a quiche or a soufflé.

I have fully clad stainless steel pots and pans literally hanging off my walls, and I also own a couple of cast iron skillets and a 5 quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven.

img_1005007_0_d8cd5ff5ef8d251c08d7d0d3495a2c3c.jpg

But my current go-to pan is the Calphalon 10-inch non-stick Everyday pan. I also bought a Calphalon 10-inch omelette pan which I use, but not as often as the appropriately named everyday pan. If you check out Amazon.com, they usually have a piece or two of Calphalon hard anodized aluminium pots and pans on sale at all times. I think they're a good investment and plan on adding more of them to my kitchen, one or two at a time.
Seem s hard to believe that the Italian fritatta was traditionally made under a broiler.

clay cookware is my preference for "certain type" of cooking, not all. thats is sort of why I was actually asking about ideas for pots and pans. for boiling pasta or veggies or frozen shrimp. that type of stuff. thats what this post was actually about. thank you.

and if anyone here also has a recommendations for like cookie sheets and that type of stuff, NOT teflon, I would LOVE some advice. my teflon started shedding long time ago.

thanx.

>>boiling pasta or veggies or frozen shrimp.

the cheapest stainless steel pot-of-size will work for that, most excellently.

boiling/steaming is not a demanding task for a pot / pan. or glass, or aluminum or cast iron. I've got a Martha Stewart K-Mart stainless stock pot that does wonders, and will do wonders forever in terms of simmering stock, boiling water and cooking pasta

saute / frying _is_ more demanding of the pan.

the high end stainless / disc / layered/ thirty-ply pots are shooting at the gold standard:

a 3mm thick copper pan with an interior clad stainless lining. well, old style is tin coated, new is stainless.

in terms of fast response and even heat distribution, copper is the way far out and ahead leader. solid silver is better. my checkbook can't afford solid silver pans.

Last edited:
okay thanx. I was really asking because I have some pots that either are shedding "teflon" or burn too easy and I can't get it off. so thank you so much. this is just the advice I was looking for. thanx.

I would like to know as well. I use pyrex baking pans. I recently replaced two of my mom's teflon-coated pans when I was there...same problem--peeling. Which, of course, they had been for years, but my mother no longer drives and my father never thinks to take her shopping for stuff other than stuff he wants or notices.

>>I would like to know as well.

I think I missed something - what's the question?

teflon? it's entirely safe for people. overheated teflon is fatal to (pet) birds.

those snake oil salesman hawking billion dollar sets....? surgical stainless steel, eh? (there's no such thing, btw...) you know those replacement hip joint doohickies - yeah it's a ball & socket joint. the ball is stainless steel. anyone care to take a guess what the socket material was?

oops. teflon. telfon has since been obsoleted by ultra-high-molecular-weight-polyethylene (UHMWPE) - because the PE wears better than the teflon.

toss that one in the snake oil pit next county fair.

Why? Do you think stoves are something new to Italy?
When I was in Italy most foods were prepared on top of the stove or in an oven and that was at probably at least 100 years after Italians started making frittatas. I had some pretty tasty cinghiale that was roasted in front of a vertical bed of coals with potatoes underneath that were cooked in the drippings.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom