ISO comments/advice on silicone cookie sheets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you all for replies. I haven't heard of these brands. I take it that all the ones you mention are good for cookies, then. Has anyone used silicone for cakes, muffins, bread, casseroles, etc?

We have been talking about flat mats made of silcone that are like parchment paper replacements for making cookies - they are not silicone bakeware for things like cakes, muffins, bread, casseroles, etc.

Hi MiFW,
I was just wondering if anyone had used silicone for anything other than cookies. I did understand what you were talking about, but I've seen so much about baking with silicone today that I was trying to find out if anyone thought it was worth it. I see it advertised so much. Tried to look at reviews, but they're mixed.
I am definitely looking to get the silpat or exopat liners.

It would depnd on your style and how you want to use them. Most of your pros out there, stick to what they are comfortable with. Very hard to change their minds in cookware. If it looks intresting to you and if it is within your budget to buy, then I have found it is fun to try new kitchen gadgets.

I have one silicone mat and I have used it for everything. It works well and goes in the dishwasher. I read that it is safe because it is made from sand. I bought it at Tuesday Morning. They have quite a few silicone baking pans & muffin "tins" (they'll need a new phrase to call them by).

When I use parchment I use the brown, unbleached parchment. It's the healthiest since it hasn't been treated with chlorine.

Beware of baking on pans lined with aluminum. Aluminum is a soft metal and when heated transfers easily into the food. Aluminum on the brain (cumulative effect) can cause problems with the brain in later yrs. Many who have memory issues today used aluminum pots and pans for years. So aluminum foil or cookware should not come in direct contact with heated food.

Wow, thanks to both of you for replying. Well, I'm not a pro for sure, dj, - ha - and can't afford to run out and buy the latest newfangled thingy out there too often, but have seen so much about silicone that I thought it might be something to try. I've never been much of a baker, although I might try again if I thought it would go better than it has in the past for me. I love to find something that works well - don't we all? Problem is all the ads promise everything, we spend our $ and find that it doesn't deliver.
Yes, GL, I do know about aluminum and got rid of most of what I had long ago. My husband is a different story and uses foil for almost everything, ugh! He doesn't listen! I like s/s for cooking and he likes nonstick.
I'm not familiar with Tuesday Morning. Is it regional? Interesting info there - didn't know sand was used to make silicone. Thanks for the heads up re the parchment. That makes sense: )
Appreciate all of you and your willingness to help.

There has been a study linked to finding aluminun depsits on the brain in people with Alzheimer’s disease. Not certain if it has any merit but I do not chance it myself. I do not use aluminum or non-stick myself. I use alot of cast iron because I figure that if a farmers seem to live past 80 years old and thats what they still use. Non-stick can release toxins at high heats so you may want to look that up also. I used to be a baker by profession and practice makes perfect. Just stay with it and you will become a great baker no matter what pans you use.

Oh dear dj, I doubt that I'll become a great baker at this stage of the game. I don't have that long to stay with it, hehe. I would just like to get the hang of it enough to not dread it. My dd & ddil love to bake so I usually count on them for cookes, cakes, etc. I do okay with muffins, which is one of the reasons I was asking about silicone for baking - love muffins but use the paper liners with alum pans. Tried pies - horrible - no matter what I did. I couldn't make a crust if my life depended on it, or for that matter, meringues were pathetic. I gave up.
I don't think there's any doubt as to the link between Alzheimers and aluminum, including baking powder and antiperspirants that have it.
Oh, I love cast iron - it's my fave of all, but all I have is skillets, so I use s/s for everything else. I totally agree as to the nonstick. Hubby loves it, but we have s/s because I won't have ns in house. Well, there is an exception - he does have 2 pans for eggs, etc., that he's allowed to use - ha
Years ago, my friend's hubby was a prof baker and we used to go at 3 a.m. to watch him. It looked so easy - yeah, uh-huh
Why did you give up profession? Just curious - not nosy! ha

p.s. I can't even make decent bread in bread machine - does that tell you anything?

I'm not familiar with Tuesday Morning. Is it regional?

Golden Rule, Tuesday Morning is a discount store. It's a chain that carries overstocks, outlet type merchandise so it's a hit or miss type of experience. You can get housewares there really reasonable. Some of their items are lovely. I don't know if it's regional. I thought it was throughout the US. Lauren Becall was a spokesperson for them a few years back. That's all I know.

I never heard of TM, but that doesn't mean there isn't one around, I suppose. I'll have to ask around and see if anyone else knows anything about it. Would love to find one nearby. I love discount stores!

Ok, my face is redder than red - just found one 9 miles from here. Almost too embarrassed to tell you. Thanks! Will have to check it out. I can't believe this.

I left the bakery to work baking for a restaurant and then became his main cook. After 7 years I went to another restaurant to become a manager and then after 18 months I moved out of state to work in another and became general manager of the one I am at now. As for the pie crust...use real lard, mix by hand so you do not over mix or it will get "tough" and try not to overfill the pie or it will overflow before it is done because as it gets hot inside it expands. The trick to meringues is you can not get ANY yolk in the bowl, you whip it until it stays in the bowl when flipped over and watch it closely in the over not to burn it.
I find alot of cast iron at yard sales and sometimes auctions for a fair price. I only will use Griswold or Wagnar brands and they are out -of-business now but those are the best that can be bought. I have dutch ovens skillets and flat grills that work so well.
I hope you get the urge to try and expand your baking skills because there is alot of rewards for good baking. It just takes time to build your skills and some wasted flour. hehe.

Thanks, dj, for the encouragement and all the info. You are so nice to share. I may actually try again. You're making me want to try: ) Would love to succeed. Well, again, who wouldn't, huh?
My mom made fantastic pie crusts, but never bothered to show us or want us around to help. I worked in a restaurant years ago and loved the cook, who also made scrumptious pies, and I tried to learn from her, but she even gave up. I learned to make a lot of other things from her, though.
I tried everything I knew or ever heard to try with the meringue and it still never worked. It just didn't look like my mil's and my dd has had the same problem. It is flat and will lift off the pie all in one piece - stop laughing. My mil's was 3" high and perfect. I tried s/s bowl, glass bowl, warm egg whites, cold egg whites, hand-held and stand mixer, tried cream of tartar and tried sugar - pitiful.
I never see cast iron at yard sales. My husband always looks, but people just don't give 'em up around here, I guess. Now I know the brands that I should look for. Have to again admit I didn't know those brands. You would not believe how much I have found out that I don't know since I got on here - HA

I don't mind wasting flour - it would be worth it if something just turned out edible!

Most people do not know those brands because they have been out of business since the 60s I believe. Griswold is very hard to find anywhere but you can look on eBay for them to see what markings to look for. Just put in those two bands and alot will pop up. I do not buy from there because of price and shipping is high for cast iron. You just search and search. I only see about 5 in a yard sale season and my only by 1 per year because of price. I go to more than 20 sales on the average week. If you want I can try out some recipies for a good pie crust and let you know how they turn out and pass it alone when I find a good one.

Oh dj that would be fantastic. Maybe I just haven't had the right recipe - yeah, that's it :0 Thank you for that kind offer - I will give it a shot: )
Wow 20 sales a week? You must be in a great area for that. I don't think we are. Unless signs are around I can't afford to drive around just looking for a bunch of stuff in a yard. DH loves them and can't pass one up so I'll make sure he knows what to look for now, although ANY cast iron would have been nice to find. We have never found a single piece at a yard sale or thrift store. I got one skillet from dh's grandmother and the other from his mom. They are treasures to me.
I know ebay is outrageously high on a lot of things. Shipping is awful, anyway - keeps going up, but it would be beyond high for cast iron, as heavy as it is.
Thanks one more time!!!

Not just any brand of cast iron will do because of the quality. Cheap ones have "hot spots" in them and a hard to season surface. You would know the difference quickly if you had them side by side. Worth the wait to find a treasure.

Back
Top Bottom