"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-22-2008, 03:27 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRule View Post
Thank you all for replies. I haven't heard of these brands. I take it that all the ones you mention are good for cookies, then. Has anyone used silicone for cakes, muffins, bread, casseroles, etc?
We have been talking about flat mats made of silcone that are like parchment paper replacements for making cookies - they are not silicone bakeware for things like cakes, muffins, bread, casseroles, etc.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

Hi MiFW,
I was just wondering if anyone had used silicone for anything other than cookies. I did understand what you were talking about, but I've seen so much about baking with silicone today that I was trying to find out if anyone thought it was worth it. I see it advertised so much. Tried to look at reviews, but they're mixed.
I am definitely looking to get the silpat or exopat liners.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

It would depnd on your style and how you want to use them. Most of your pros out there, stick to what they are comfortable with. Very hard to change their minds in cookware. If it looks intresting to you and if it is within your budget to buy, then I have found it is fun to try new kitchen gadgets.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #24
Senior Cook

I have one silicone mat and I have used it for everything. It works well and goes in the dishwasher. I read that it is safe because it is made from sand. I bought it at Tuesday Morning. They have quite a few silicone baking pans & muffin "tins" (they'll need a new phrase to call them by).

When I use parchment I use the brown, unbleached parchment. It's the healthiest since it hasn't been treated with chlorine.

Beware of baking on pans lined with aluminum. Aluminum is a soft metal and when heated transfers easily into the food. Aluminum on the brain (cumulative effect) can cause problems with the brain in later yrs. Many who have memory issues today used aluminum pots and pans for years. So aluminum foil or cookware should not come in direct contact with heated food.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Wow, thanks to both of you for replying. Well, I'm not a pro for sure, dj, - ha - and can't afford to run out and buy the latest newfangled thingy out there too often, but have seen so much about silicone that I thought it might be something to try. I've never been much of a baker, although I might try again if I thought it would go better than it has in the past for me. I love to find something that works well - don't we all? Problem is all the ads promise everything, we spend our $ and find that it doesn't deliver.
Yes, GL, I do know about aluminum and got rid of most of what I had long ago. My husband is a different story and uses foil for almost everything, ugh! He doesn't listen! I like s/s for cooking and he likes nonstick.
I'm not familiar with Tuesday Morning. Is it regional? Interesting info there - didn't know sand was used to make silicone. Thanks for the heads up re the parchment. That makes sense: )
Appreciate all of you and your willingness to help.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

There has been a study linked to finding aluminun depsits on the brain in people with Alzheimer’s disease. Not certain if it has any merit but I do not chance it myself. I do not use aluminum or non-stick myself. I use alot of cast iron because I figure that if a farmers seem to live past 80 years old and thats what they still use. Non-stick can release toxins at high heats so you may want to look that up also. I used to be a baker by profession and practice makes perfect. Just stay with it and you will become a great baker no matter what pans you use.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Oh dear dj, I doubt that I'll become a great baker at this stage of the game. I don't have that long to stay with it, hehe. I would just like to get the hang of it enough to not dread it. My dd & ddil love to bake so I usually count on them for cookes, cakes, etc. I do okay with muffins, which is one of the reasons I was asking about silicone for baking - love muffins but use the paper liners with alum pans. Tried pies - horrible - no matter what I did. I couldn't make a crust if my life depended on it, or for that matter, meringues were pathetic. I gave up.
I don't think there's any doubt as to the link between Alzheimers and aluminum, including baking powder and antiperspirants that have it.
Oh, I love cast iron - it's my fave of all, but all I have is skillets, so I use s/s for everything else. I totally agree as to the nonstick. Hubby loves it, but we have s/s because I won't have ns in house. Well, there is an exception - he does have 2 pans for eggs, etc., that he's allowed to use - ha
Years ago, my friend's hubby was a prof baker and we used to go at 3 a.m. to watch him. It looked so easy - yeah, uh-huh
Why did you give up profession? Just curious - not nosy! ha
Old 07-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

p.s. I can't even make decent bread in bread machine - does that tell you anything?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #29
Senior Cook

I'm not familiar with Tuesday Morning. Is it regional?

Golden Rule, Tuesday Morning is a discount store. It's a chain that carries overstocks, outlet type merchandise so it's a hit or miss type of experience. You can get housewares there really reasonable. Some of their items are lovely. I don't know if it's regional. I thought it was throughout the US. Lauren Becall was a spokesperson for them a few years back. That's all I know.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

I never heard of TM, but that doesn't mean there isn't one around, I suppose. I'll have to ask around and see if anyone else knows anything about it. Would love to find one nearby. I love discount stores!