ISO Current "best deal" on clad cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silver

Senior Cook
So, every now and then, some great deal comes up that everyone's talking about. Sometimes it's a line that Costco has for a great price or the Tramontina at Wal-Mart or...?

What's the current deal-du-jour on clad cookware? (induction ready)

I've been searching around on Amazon, Costco, Wal-Mart, etc and it all just seems like average fare these days. Any killer deals around?

In particular, I'm looking for a good set of sauce pans (or "pots" as we call them in my house :LOL: ), a good size saute pan (>3 qt), and a couple of regular pans/skillets (sometimes referred to as frying pans or saute pans or omelette pans, depending on the person you speak with, it seems). I don't care if I buy a set, as long as it's a good buy and, most of all, good quality.

I think I'd also like a stock pot in the 12 qt'ish size so that I can start making my own stocks and soups...although I've read varying ideals on the necessity of clad v. encapsulated base in stockpots...something about continuous movement of liquid and it being good that it's a bit cooler near the top than the bottom so it generates movement of the entire liquid base due to basic thermodynamics or something along those lines that I don't really remember from grade 12 chemistry...

Thoughts, as always, are greatly appreciated!

Edit to say that I've been lusting after the Lagostina 5-ply Copper Cookware Set at Costco but haven't seen them go on sale so can't quite justify it.

Last edited:
So, every now and then, some great deal comes up that everyone's talking about. Sometimes it's a line that Costco has for a great price or the Tramontina at Wal-Mart or...?

What's the current deal-du-jour on clad cookware? (induction ready)

I've been searching around on Amazon, Costco, Wal-Mart, etc and it all just seems like average fare these days. Any killer deals around?

In particular, I'm looking for a good set of sauce pans (or "pots" as we call them in my house :LOL: ), a good size saute pan (>3 qt), and a couple of regular pans/skillets (sometimes referred to as frying pans or saute pans or omelette pans, depending on the person you speak with, it seems). I don't care if I buy a set, as long as it's a good buy and, most of all, good quality.

I think I'd also like a stock pot in the 12 qt'ish size so that I can start making my own stocks and soups...although I've read varying ideals on the necessity of clad v. encapsulated base in stockpots...something about continuous movement of liquid and it being good that it's a bit cooler near the top than the bottom so it generates movement of the entire liquid base due to basic thermodynamics or something along those lines that I don't really remember from grade 12 chemistry...

Thoughts, as always, are greatly appreciated!

Edit to say that I've been lusting after the Lagostina 5-ply Copper Cookware Set at Costco but haven't seen them go on sale so can't quite justify it.

Sorry, I haven't heard of any good deals. I can understand why you are lusting after that Lagostina set. I have a Lagostina set with aluminium in the base and it performs well and looks good. I'm very happy with it and can't possibly justify upgrading to that copper bottom set, but if I had to get something new ...

I, too, have a Lagostina set with an encapsulated base and it's okay. Does the job for most liquidy stuff. It has a small'ish saute pan that's non-stick, so I almost never use it. I guess, to be fair, I'm not really dying to buy all new pots...

Skillets and nice big saute on the other hand...oh, and I need a stock pot. Otherwise, I guess I can survive with what I've got. :LOL:

I could use some bigger skillets as well. I have a bunch of Copco enamelled CI stuff. I have one nice big one, but it needs to be re-enamelled.

I bought a 20 litre SS stock pot at Canadian Tire years ago, on special. I don't use it often for stock. I actually make smaller batches of stock frequently in the large Lagostina pot.

You might like this set. Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro. I've had mine for several years now and can't stop singing its praises. Not the least expensive set, but way more affordable than an equivalent set of All Clad. And, the pouring lip on the pans is rated better than All Clad. I don't normally advocate for sets of anything (cookware, knives, etc) as there seems to be pieces one wouldn't use, but I use every piece in this set. Cutlery and More (the site I've linked to) usually has really good prices. And there is free shipping on this set.

It is sometimes possible to find deeply discounted sets on eBay. These will have been liquidated following some event, returned, found to have damage, etc. I bought the main line (the "fat" ones no longer made) of Tramontina off eBay quite inexpensively, because the set was missing the large soup pot. I already had a good copper pot of that class, so the missing one was nothing to me. It was otherwise new and in the original box.

If you try to go that way, become familiar with the details of various sets from the manufacturers and how to distinguish between their regular lines and perhaps a lesser product produced for discount stores and "factory outlet" stores.

I have a Cuisinart Multi-Clad Saute pan and it works quite well. I also have a Tramontina Fry pan that works equally well.

I am more of a non-set kind of guy.

Thanks guys - Hammster, I never thought of C&M - I've been ogling their site for weeks looking at knives and never even looked at the cookware, good thought.

GLC - good thinking - I've sort of avoided ebay over the last couple of years as it seemed to have gone up in price and risk and didn't seem worth it anymore but I'll check it out.

Joshua - generally speaking, I agree with you re the non-set thing; however, I wanted to make a full switch and replace my basics as well, so thought a set might not be a bad idea. Thanks for your thoughts on the MCP and Tramontina. Good to know they're both decent.

The Tramontina set is still available online at Walmart, but not in the stores. Most of the pans in the basic set are smaller sizes.

I find individual pieces of AllClad, Cuisinart, Calphalon, etc, in the discount clearance stores like Ross, Marshalls, TJMaxx, Steinmart, Bealls. You don't find stuff there every time, but if you keep checking, you'll score some real deals. I recently picked up this pan for $49. Got this one for $29.

The trick is to be patient, and keep checking.

You might like this set. Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro. I've had mine for several years now and can't stop singing its praises. Not the least expensive set, but way more affordable than an equivalent set of All Clad. And, the pouring lip on the pans is rated better than All Clad. I don't normally advocate for sets of anything (cookware, knives, etc) as there seems to be pieces one wouldn't use, but I use every piece in this set. Cutlery and More (the site I've linked to) usually has really good prices. And there is free shipping on this set.

I like Cuisinart. I like their handles. They don't get hot and can go from the stove top to the oven. I have a 12" saute' pan with the lid. It is great for making frittatas and one pan meals. ATK likes them also for their pouring lip and no dripping. For what I cook, I don't need the wrap around core. The bottom clad work fine for me. Good product.

...generally speaking, I agree with you re the non-set thing; however, I wanted to make a full switch and replace my basics as well, so thought a set might not be a bad idea...

I'm the same way and was also replacing an entire set, our original Reverware set we got when we were first married. I'd say it was around 20 or 25 years old when we switched over to the Cuisinart.

I'm the same way and was also replacing an entire set, our original Reverware set we got when we were first married. I'd say it was around 20 or 25 years old when we switched over to the Cuisinart.

I still have my 1.5 qt. saucepan from Revere. Wouldn't get rid of it for anything. Just the right size for a heatup of a bowl of soup or leftovers from the fridge. Those pans last forever. I no longer polish the copper bottom though. No one sees my pans except me and I don't care if it shines or not. :chef:

Addie, I have to admit that I also saved my 1.5 qt Reverware saucepan. It's what I learned to cook rice in and I wouldn't trade it for the world for making great white rice. As you say, it's good for small amounts of things. Mine doesn't have the copper bottom, just stainless all around, and like you I don't care too much what the outside of it looks like.

Joshua - generally speaking, I agree with you re the non-set thing; however, I wanted to make a full switch and replace my basics as well, so thought a set might not be a bad idea. Thanks for your thoughts on the MCP and Tramontina. Good to know they're both decent.

That makes sense. If I needed to replace everything I would get the MCP set, based solely on the quality of the saute pan

Thanks everyone (Addie - no Macy's in Canada - that I know of, at least - ...too bad!)

Thanks Josh, will check out the MCP for sure and will also check out the discount stores. I've seen a few pieces here and there (grabbed a Calphalon triply saucier/sauteuse/chef's pan...whatever you want to call it for about $40 once).

I'm becoming more inclined to just grab pieces as then I'll get what I really want.

Back
Top Bottom