ISO Dutch Oven Recomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
Baking my 1st NYT bread in my crockpot last week has made me finally decide to get a new DO.... I have a nice stainless one, but I can only use it up to 350 because of the handles..... which is just fine for Swiss Steak and pot roast.... but I can see myself making alot of that bread!
What kind do you all like for that use? Straight up cast iron? Enameled? Stainless with stainless handles?
Or one of each? :chef:

The first choice for most of us is the LeCrueset enameled cast iron dutch oven. KatieE mentioned new knobs for the lid that allow you to go up to 500F.

A clad SS one with metal handles is also a good item to have but the LeC is the first choice.

I'm satisfied with the Lodge 6 qt enameled cast iron and Tramontina 4qt. enameled cast iron. I didn't want to spend over $100 for Le Crueset. I bought stainless steel knobs at Home Depot to replace the original plastic knobs, works fine with 500 degree oven.

Even though I have several pieces of Le Creuset (all oval-shaped), I use an old Magnalite cast aluminum Dutch oven for my NYT bread. Bought the Magnalite piece for 50 cents at a thrift store. Had a tempered glass lid at home that fit perfectly. Went to the hardware store and purchased a metal knob for the lid and I'm a happy camper.

I've got a Staub and love it. One factor in the decision was that Staub's handles are stainless steel and safe for all oven temps. I did a bunch of research before buying and found that generally Le Creuset is better known, but both Staub and Le Creuset are regarded very highly by all who use them. Some of the cheaper brands (Batali, etc) seem to have some complaints about quality. I've seen nothing negative so far regarding Lodge's enameled cast iron, and a few good reviews, and it costs a lot less.

But if you're looking just for the sake of using for No-Knead Bread, I recommend a La Cloche clay baker over the DO. It's much easier to work with as you don't have to drop the dough as far when putting it in.

Russell, would you mind sharing about how much your Staub was? I'm also in the market for a new DO. suzi, thanks for bringing up this question!

If you're interested in a LeCrueset, seek out an outlet store. I bought a 7 1/4 quart round DO from the outlet store for $130. It had a cosmetic imperfection on the interior but otherwise looks great and cooks without flaw.

$39.99 Tramontina from wal-mart works just fine for me. :chef:

plus Cook's Illustrated ranked it right at the top with all the high dollar dutch ovens like AC and LC.

i can't see spending that much more for one of those models when the tramontina was right there with them in performance.

weak dollar + high gas prices = tighter budget for me.

The lodge one is often $35 no tax and free shipping from Amazon too. Normal price is $40.
Right now the 6 qt island spice one is 35 bucks.

I'm still using my old cast iron Dutch oven. It has feet on it, and a recessed lid. I have baked sourdough and cornbread in it, but have not yet tried NYT bread in it. The legs and recessed lid are for campfire cooking...line a hole with burning coals, drop the oven in, and cover with more coals. Makes a killer Shepherds' pie. The DO is probably as old as I am, which would be over 50 years. Over 55 years. Bought it used for, I dunno, probably about $5 at a yard sale. Marked "USA" on bottom.

Back
Top Bottom