"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
ISO Dutch Oven Recomendations

Baking my 1st NYT bread in my crockpot last week has made me finally decide to get a new DO.... I have a nice stainless one, but I can only use it up to 350 because of the handles..... which is just fine for Swiss Steak and pot roast.... but I can see myself making alot of that bread!
What kind do you all like for that use? Straight up cast iron? Enameled? Stainless with stainless handles?
Or one of each?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

The first choice for most of us is the LeCrueset enameled cast iron dutch oven. KatieE mentioned new knobs for the lid that allow you to go up to 500F.

A clad SS one with metal handles is also a good item to have but the LeC is the first choice.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
Master Chef

I'm satisfied with the Lodge 6 qt enameled cast iron and Tramontina 4qt. enameled cast iron. I didn't want to spend over $100 for Le Crueset. I bought stainless steel knobs at Home Depot to replace the original plastic knobs, works fine with 500 degree oven.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Even though I have several pieces of Le Creuset (all oval-shaped), I use an old Magnalite cast aluminum Dutch oven for my NYT bread. Bought the Magnalite piece for 50 cents at a thrift store. Had a tempered glass lid at home that fit perfectly. Went to the hardware store and purchased a metal knob for the lid and I'm a happy camper.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I've got a Staub and love it. One factor in the decision was that Staub's handles are stainless steel and safe for all oven temps. I did a bunch of research before buying and found that generally Le Creuset is better known, but both Staub and Le Creuset are regarded very highly by all who use them. Some of the cheaper brands (Batali, etc) seem to have some complaints about quality. I've seen nothing negative so far regarding Lodge's enameled cast iron, and a few good reviews, and it costs a lot less.

But if you're looking just for the sake of using for No-Knead Bread, I recommend a La Cloche clay baker over the DO. It's much easier to work with as you don't have to drop the dough as far when putting it in.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
Master Chef

Suzie, there were couple of threads here about DO's here in the past, tons of great information. Try to search for it.
In the mean time here is a link to some pretty inexpensive ones: Aluminum Dutch Ovens or a great alternative to cast iron dutch ovens
Old 06-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
Hospitality Queen

Russell, would you mind sharing about how much your Staub was? I'm also in the market for a new DO. suzi, thanks for bringing up this question!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Hi jkath, I have the 5 qt round, I believe it was a little under $200 when I got it.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

If you're interested in a LeCrueset, seek out an outlet store. I bought a 7 1/4 quart round DO from the outlet store for $130. It had a cosmetic imperfection on the interior but otherwise looks great and cooks without flaw.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
Senior Cook

$39.99 Tramontina from wal-mart works just fine for me.

plus Cook's Illustrated ranked it right at the top with all the high dollar dutch ovens like AC and LC.

i can't see spending that much more for one of those models when the tramontina was right there with them in performance.

weak dollar + high gas prices = tighter budget for me.