"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #11
Head Chef

I use mine more often to cook a tough cut of meat, then use the broth that's created by that to cook the veggies in to go with it. A pot roast or corned beef brisket, seasoned and just covered with water or stock, then cooked on high for about 4 hours (as already mentioned, it keeps the kitchen cooler and doesn't use as much power as the range because there is less heat leakage).

When the meat is done, I pour off the broth into a large pot and cook the potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage - whatever else I'm going to have with the meat - in that broth. That way the veggies are nicely flavored, but stay a bit more distinct and I can control the cooking time and texture better, and it can still be served as a "one pot" meal.

I rarely do a complete one pot meal in the crock pot.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
Senior Cook

So I made garlic-lemon chicken with it yesterday. I guess if you work, which I don't, they would be ok, to have a meal ready when you get home, but I could have easily put everything in a pot on the stove, and had it done in half the time.
I don't see any use for it in the near future.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
So I made garlic-lemon chicken with it yesterday. I guess if you work, which I don't, they would be ok, to have a meal ready when you get home, but I could have easily put everything in a pot on the stove, and had it done in half the time.
I don't see any use for it in the near future.
I'm retired and love having the slow cooker to "do the work" while I devote my time to things around the house and assorted fun projects.

I was surprised to hear how other folks say their end products are almost mundane in flavor. We've not had that experience and find the slow cooker to be one of our best friends.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #14
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Mine gathers quite a bit of dust. I love cooking dried beans in the slow cooker but for most other things I prefer other methods.

Pot roasty things and stew generally taste better in a large pot where I can brown the meat first, then I add the rest of the ingredients and let it cook in a slow oven. The oven isn't as energy efficient as the slow cooker but in the end the food tastes better because of the searing.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Slow Cooker Recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannaLee83 View Post
I use my slow cooker at LEAST once a week in the summer and up to everyday in the Winter. If you have some bad recipes, don't give up, I once bought a little impulse cookbook at the checkout line for slow cookers and didn't like ANY of them. But I have also found many, many excellent ones.
Do you have a good recipe that you can share with us?
Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 AM   #16
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnw0610 View Post
I make different beans recipes(white, pinto, black,) chilis, and some stews. Which would you like?
Old 11-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannaLee83 View Post
I make different beans recipes(white, pinto, black,) chilis, and some stews. Which would you like?
How about some stews? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-20-2014, 07:30 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I just luv my outdoor slow cookers. They make really good pulled pork, brisket and ribs, just to mention a few.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnw0610 View Post
I cook a lot of dried beans in our slow cookers. One of our all-time favorites is white beans and smoked turkey necks, which we enjoyed earlier this week.

What I do is to soak a pound of great northern beans overnight, drain them and add them to the slow cooker, along with about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of smoked turkey necks, a boatload of chopped onions, a generous amount of minced garlic, 'bout 3 or 4 bay leaves and enough water to cover. Start early in the day and let it cook all day long. Sometimes I'll set the cooker to HIGH for the first couple of hours and turn it down to LOW for the rest of the cooking time.

You might have noticed that I didn't add any salt. That's because, sometimes, the turkey necks are already a bit salty. I usually check for seasoning about an hour or so before serving and adjust the salt to our preference. The beans cook until they're nice and tender and the meat falls off the bones. There are always plenty of leftovers and do well in the freezer, too.

We like it with hot cornbread. Yummy eatin'!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #20
Master Chef

The thing I use my slow cooker the most is yogurt. Works awesome.

Tags
cook, slow cooker