ISO help/advice on cookware for coil electric stovetop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlj

Assistant Cook
Moving to new apartment that has coil electric stovetop. Have always used gas in past, don't cook much, can't afford high priced sets. Can anyone suggest a good budget brand for coil electric (not smooth) stovetops?:chef:

Whatever you used on your gas cooktop will be fine for your electric cooktop. You don't need to buy new cookware unless you just want to :LOL:

Whatever you used on your gas cooktop will be fine for your electric cooktop. You don't need to buy new cookware unless you just want to :LOL:

Thanks. It's just that I've been reading how cooking with gas is different than with electric, and cooking on coils may be different than smooth top. Also about flat bottomed pans and whatnot. The pans I have now are just mismatched pieces given to me over the years, so I was thinking about getting a new set when I move, one that will work well with my stovetop. :chef:

Well, since you're not using an induction electric stovetop - there is no need to worry about it ... induction requires pans with flat bottoms (no rims or ridges) that are made of magnetic metals.

You can use the same cookware on an electric stove that you used on a gas stove.

The difference in cooking on a gas vs electric stove is something called lag time ... when you turn a gas stove up it instantly gets hotter, with an electric stove it takes a little time for the burner to get hotter ... when you reduce the heat on a gas stove the heat source instantly goes down - with an electric stove it takes time for the coil to cool down.

Simple solution - if the pot is too hot - take it off the burner, turn the burner down, wait 2-3 minutes, and put it back.

An electric stove takes a little more attention than a gas stove - but it's not that hard to adjust to if you pay attention to what you are doing.

Last edited:
Electric Coil Cookware

Hello - I guess the answer is any cookware will work whether used on gas or electric stove.... However, I'm looking to replace my very inexpensive cookware with a quality set. What's a good mid-range to high-range brand and type of cookware that will work best on an electric coil stove? Big thanks....

Back
Top Bottom