ISO - Help Buying Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voultsi

Assistant Cook
So i decided to buy a cast iron skillet no matter what , probably the lodge 10inch pre seasoned skillet . And now i am stuck again , i want a personal small pan that is somewhat non stick to cook eggs , NO i dont want a teflon pan even though if it is used in low temps it is safe , and i cant decide witch type of skillet to be my main go to skillet , i am between stainless steel and hard anodized aluminium.It would be very helpful if you would post a link to amazon to a pan that you propose as it would be really helpful . Budget is 30$ each skillet
Thanks in advance

I agree with Andy a 6" cast iron skillet is perfect for the home cook to fry a couple of eggs or make a small omelet for one.

I would also encourage you to focus on technique more and equipment less. A good cook can cook an egg, or anything else, on almost any pan with great results. To me the key is starting with a clean pan, bringing it up to the proper temperature before adding the fat and not moving the food until it is ready to be moved. Check out some of the great videos on the internet to learn the basics and then practice, practice, practice.

Good luck!

I agree with Andy a 6" cast iron skillet is perfect for the home cook to fry a couple of eggs or make a small omelet for one...

I didn't know Lodge made a 6.5" skillet. I thought the 8" was the smallest. I think I'll have o get one.

Just cook on your 10" + it has more room to get around to flip your eggs. A properly seasoned pan is key. If buying a pre-seasoned pan, don't expect it to be "a non stick" it just is not true. A new pan, pre-seasoned or not pre-seasoned needs to be washed in hot soapy water and re-seasoned 3 to 5 times for best use. High temp oil that has a hard surface after seasoning is the best. Flax seed or grape seed oils are best suited for a good hard non-stick surface.
If you are new to cast iron, just to remind you, that high acid foods such as tomato's or citrus can remove the seasoning.

Here a an egg cooked on cast iron without butter or oil.No, it did not stick!

39817-albums371-picture6033.jpg

Thanks guys , ill follow your advice and buy a lodge 10'' skillet .But still can you recommend a good stainless steel pan under 30$ please ?

I haven't used this brand personally, but it gets good reviews, both online and from other members here: Cuisinart 722-30G Chef's Classic 12-Inch Skillet with Glass Cover. It's a stretch, but only a little ;)

I think this is a good size for a beginner and it's always helpful to have a lid. I recommend stainless steel over hard-anodized aluminum because if you want to make pan sauces or gravy, it's easier with a light-colored pan to see when the browned bits on the bottom are dark enough or getting too dark and about to burn.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I didn't know Lodge made a 6.5" skillet. I thought the 8" was the smallest. I think I'll have o get one.

We bought the little Wonder Skillet (5") for our daughter one Christmas. Figured she could use it for grilled sandwiches, but she loves it for one egg. I found it at the kitchenware shop at Solomon Pond Mall, but you can probably find it most anywhere that sells Lodge.

Wonder Skillet

Non-stick

I share your concerns about Teflon. Consider Henckel's Thermulon. It uses a ceramic non-stick coating. I have several very well seasoned cast iron pans but will always reach for the Thermulon to cook eggs, scrambled, fried, whatever.

Have you considered a carbon steel fry pan? Almost same as cast iron but without the weight. You need to season it like cast iron. Once it's seasoned, it's nonstick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom