"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Yesterday I seasoned a newly purchased carbon steel wok. (a less than $30 wok)

Pretty simple to season.

First I filled the wok 3/4 full of water. Boiled the water for 10 minutes to loosen the protecting layer put on by the mfg.

Let cool a bit and added 2 TBL oil (I used canola) slow heated until lightly smoking, spreading the oil with a paper towel. Also I tilted the wok to get heat to the entire surface. Remove from heat, wiping excess oil. As I did this part, the wok and the paper towel each darkened. That's the seasoning part.

I repeated the heat to smoking part 5 times.

The inside bottom of the wok is showing dark layer of seasoned perfection now which will cover the entire wok as I use it.

Ross

Old 06-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #12
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I think heat may be your underlying problem here. Not enough of it.

I have a couple of Yamada woks that came with simple seasoning instructions.
Do it outdoors - it really smokes.

Here are the instructions that came with my pans - I used a little coconut oil:

PRE-SEASONING
The process to remove its protective coating.

The factory coating needs to be burnt off over high heat to expose the bare metal surface before you consume food made in the wok.

Thoroughly scrub the pan inside and out using a kitchen sponge and dish soap. Rinse with hot water.

Open the windows and turn on the exhaust fan in the room.

Set the clean wok over medium heat and let it dry on a gas cooktop (or blowtorch/blowlamp).

Heat the wok over high heat until it gets discoloured like bluish-grey. It will probably smoke. Repeat this process until all surface has been done.

Let the pan cool down naturally. Wash it again with a kitchen sponge and dish soap. Rinse with hot water. Then, ready to season the wok.

SEASONING
To bake oil into the pores of the iron wok that prevents rust and provides a natural non-stick coating.

Heat the pre-seasoned wok over high heat. Add 1 wok ladle (hoak) of cooking oil in a circular motion to coat inside the wok with oil (It may be better to turn off the heat temporarily when you add the oil for safety sake).

Stir-fry some vegetable scraps or aromatic ones such as chopped ginger and scallions. The wok will gradually become shiny and look smoother. Discard the vegetable scraps. Then, ready to cook!

BEFORE USE

Each time before you cook, pre-heat the wok on low to medium heat and add 1 wok ladle (hoak) of cooking oil in a circular motion to coat inside the wok with oil, then drain the oil into an oil pot before adding the ingredients.
-------------

Interesting video here:

Old 06-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the replies one and all. In the end I decided I was devoting too much time to trying to get the "perfect season", so I stripped back the pan and basically started cooking with it! I used a reasonable amount of oil initially and have been frying up things that are not particularly "sticky", and will work my way gradually up to things like my home made fish cakes, which seem to be the gold standard for establishing the effectiveness of a pan's non-stick qualities! So far so good actually, as I am really please so far. Basically I have just been cooking with it, and when finished throwing some water and boiling it to get stubborn foodstuffs off, and giving it a little once-over with a chainmail scrubber...then a bit of oil and back in the cupboard. Seems to be working well, and the color of the pan is changing nicely.

Thanks again for all the replies. Much appreciated

FlyingScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carbon steel, season, seasoning, skillet