ISO help using a covered graniteware roaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snug harbor

Assistant Cook
Has anyone ever used a graniteware covered roaster for turkey? If so, what should the oven be set for and how long would it take a 16-lb (approx) stuffed turkey to cook? I used a non-stick black roaster in the past, but had to dispose of it as it started cracking and peeling. I thought I would be safe with this brand. I loved how the turked cooked (without basting) and didn't dry out. Thank you!

I’ve got three of those roasters in various sizes (small, medium, and large). Love ‘em. For roasting a Turkey, it seems I vary the methodology every year, and here lately, I’ve only been frying them.

Here is a thread that discusses the pros, cons, and a few success stories of using a covered roaster, how they did it, and with pics. Hope that helps.

Do you plan on roasting the entire time covered, or will you cover toward the end to slow browning, or uncover toward the end to increase browning?

Oh, and Welcome to DC by the way! :)

That thread we had, that keltin posted, was the one I was looking for ....

If that doesn't answer your questions you might try contacting Columbian Home Products (they make the Granite Ware roasters) - their website gives telephone and email contact info.

Thanks for your response. I did see that thread from crash--but 400* seems a bit high to me. I sent an E-mail to Columbian Home Products.

Last, by not least, try visiting the Butterball website, or call their hotline at 1-800-288-8372. Reynolds (the aluminium foil people, not the tobacco people) also has a Turkey Tips hotline at 1-800-745-4000

Well, Caine - the Butterball site doesn't advocate the use of a deep-covered enameled steel roaster like snug harbor has and wants to use - unless you found a page that I couldn't find ... I sure thought I checked them all but I might have missed one. And, the Alcoa Reynolds site pushes using their roasting bags - again in a shallow open roaster - couldn't find any into there on using a deep-covered enameled steel roaster, either - but that doesn't mean I didn't miss a page there, either.

Hi,
I finally called Columbian Home Products today. They told me for a 12 lb turkey to start the oven at 400* for 1 hour and then lower it to 250* for 1 hr and 45 minutes. I think I will cook a 16 lb, stuffed bird at 350* for 4 hrs and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom