"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-25-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO help with nonstick pots

I have a heavy set of pots and pans with non stick surface. noticed the surface has a "bubble" in it on some pots and is starting to peel in other pans. Someone said this is very dangerous and I should not cook anylonger in this set. Is this true? The outside and walls are all in great shape, just the inside surface is getting bad. Anything I can do to save them?

Old 12-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

To be honest, I wouldn't cook with them anymore. DuPont says it's safe, but it just doesn't sound appetizing to me. But then, I only have one piece of non-stick cookware and I use it almost exclusively for eggs.

If you want to continue using non-stick cookware, be sure to wash it by hand - dishwasher detergent can damage the coating - and don't overheat it (over 500 degrees F) or heat the pan while empty. HTH.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

It is safe. Even if you eat the non stick coating it will just pass harmlessly through your body. What you need to be careful of (and this is true with any non stick pan) it to not over heat it. As long as you do not heat it for longer than about 30 seconds or so with nothing in the pan then you will be fine. Also stick to no more than med-high heat. That being said, I use high heat with mine sometimes, but there is always food in the pan when I do that,
Old 12-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

The question is, do you want to keep cooking with pans the food is probably sticking to?
I started replacing my old TFal for this very reason and haven't looked back. Cooking is so much more enjoyable. You know... the right tool for the job. It is hard though to throw out a pan that's perfect everywhere it doesn't need to be.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Senior Cook

As has been said overheating can cause the nonstick coating to bubble up and the use of metal utinsels can cause the coating to chip.

true experience-I heated a nonstick pan on high enough heat that a huge bubble formed and after removing the pan from the heat the bubble dissappeared and the coating never did crack or peal the few times I used it afterwards. I did get rid of it though.