ISO loaf pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potato Repairman

Assistant Cook
Is there any real difference, in the end product, or ease of clean up, etc., between baking bread in a pyrex loaf pan versus a clay loaf pan like an Emil Henry or even a stoneware Pampered Chef loaf pan?

I've never used a Pyrex loaf pan, but I love my Pampered Chef pan - it cleans up very easily with the rubber scraper they provide with all their stoneware.

I don't bake so let me say that FIRST! I wouldn't ever think of baking bread in a glass loaf pan. Isn't glass a very poor conductor of heat? I'd say that would be a problem.

With that being said I LOVE my stoneware loaf pan the best. It's also Pampered Chef like GotGarlic's. It's nice and thick and conducts heat evenly. I also like to bake bread on my clay pizza stone - it's definitely more boule than loaf but I prefer that shape anyway.

I only use glass pans to bake my loaf bread in. I have 6 of them and am always on the lookout for more at yard sales, etc.

I have one silicone loaf pan and, even though clean-up is a breeze, I don't like how the pan "splays" out and gives my loaves a funny shape. I strictly use it for my bacon-and-egg bread, which sticks to the pan like glue. Although, recently I've experimented with lining a glass pan with parchment and that works just as well as baking it in the silicone pan.

I don't have any stoneware pans, so I can't weigh in on that part of the discussion.

I make a LOT of banana bread (bananas are only 39¢ a pound here), and I have used every type of loaf pan imaginable, metal ones in black, silver, or grey; glass in both clear and brown; and silicone. Since the first time I used it last year, I have consistently used the silicone pan because the banana bread comes out perfect every time, and there's no greasing, flouring, sugaring, etc. required.

I only use DeMarle bakeware/cookware from France. I love my loaf pan. Its so easy to clean because its silcon with woven glass. A lot of there stuff is used on the food nextwork.

I only use glass or silicone pans because that's what I have. They both work great. The silicone loaf pans I have each came with metal rack-type things that keep the loaves from distorting. I tend to use the silicone ones more for things that have a high sugar content because it's easier to clean. But for plain breads, either one works great.

I like the black nonstick pans the best. My German grandmother used black bread pans that were so seasoned from decades of use that they qualified as "nonstick". She made 3 loaves a week beginning early Monday morning. Afternoons at her home were "heavenly" as that's when the bread came out of the oven..........

Thanks to everybody for the quick replies! I have had pretty good results using parchment lined Pyrex. We do use a stone for our pizza and that's what got me to thinking about different pans. The issue I have with parchment is I am unable to smoothly line the pan so that I get a good looking full shaped loaf. The interior curves of the pans cause me to have large hollows where the paper doesn't quite fit the shape of the pan. Perhaps I need to look into pans that have sharp interior angles?
I tried two loaves today in the glass pans, but didn't use my usual methods with parchment.....not a good result. The bread was quite good,in both cases, and I was actually able to get most of one loaf out of the pan, the other wasn't pretty. Your answers have given me a few more ideas, for some other things to try. Thanks so much.

You can use any loaf pan, cover with cooking paper, and then you are very safe.

I make a LOT of banana bread (bananas are only 39¢ a pound here), and I have used every type of loaf pan imaginable, metal ones in black, silver, or grey; glass in both clear and brown; and silicone. Since the first time I used it last year, I have consistently used the silicone pan because the banana bread comes out perfect every time, and there's no greasing, flouring, sugaring, etc. required.
hubby bakes banana bread all the time, he uses the aluminum loaf pan, he has tried the black teflon one but it burned the bread. I think he forgets to turn down the heat for darker bread.

Back
Top Bottom