ISO opinions on Cast Iron Casserole Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rookies

Assistant Cook
Are Chasseur Cast Iron Casserole Dish any good compare to other brands that are available?

Such as Le Cresuset

Most casserole dishes are good. Try Pyrex or any of the cast iron dishes that are less expensive than LeCreuset. All of my casserole dishes are cast iron and only one of the 5 is NOT a LeCreuset. People have been making great casseroles for years without paying an arm and a leg. Try a couple and see what you think. Everyone will have thier own opinion of what they think is a good brand. Remember, it's not so much the dish itself but the ingredients and the method you use to make that particlar recipe. .

leCreuset is the gold standard.... they are beautifully made and the other enameled CI are generally not quite to the standards of LC. That said... LeCreuset are expensive. The cheaper ones will cook very well.

I do not know the LeChasseur brand but a search says it is made in France... this is a good sign.. it is also not "cheap" but looks less expensive than Le Creuset. Staub as far as I know is the only other European made enameled CI.

The rest (sadly including Lodge) are made in China. These seem fine and are good deals.. although I cannot attest for them as I have only looked at them in the store and not used them. They were not quite as nicely made as LeCreuset but I am sure would do the job. Personally I try to avoid made in China items as much as possible but that is a personal choice.

I will say I am exceptionally happy with my LeCreuset but it was mostly either gifts or bought 2nd hand or deeply discounted. I would not pay retail for it as it is pretty easy to find on discount.

Thank guys for the input.. I will go and have a look round some local shops during the week and see what i can come across with and see if their anything i like..

Cheers

I would not recommend Le Chasseur products under any circumstances.

The thermal characteristics of the cast iron do not seem to circulate heat as efficiently as real french ovens (I have lived in France, so I know) and burn most things that you put in them.

The products sold in Australia are not as high quality as the ones in France. The company that resells them is extremely aggressive in rebutting any negative feedback and endeavours to intimidate rather than have dialogue.

By all means buy the Le Chasseur pots but be aware that you will have huge problems with the distributor if you develop any issues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom