"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-12-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO pan information?

I've read through a lot of posts, done some searches, and I've come to the conclusion that there isn't a right answer to this question, but I'm hoping someone will say something that will sway my decision.

OK, I'm in the market for a couple of new fry pans and a saute pan (with cover). Currently I have a large TFal arrangement, but for some reason the saute and fry pans have really deteriorated in the last few months. They're 20 years old, so I guess this is to be expected, but the sudden turn for the worse has me a little confused. I'm wondering if it's my dishwasher.... but that's where the new pans will be going too, so I guess we'll see.

I understand the different pan for different job philosophy, but I need my pans to multi-task. If I'm cooking sausage in a pan and I decide to add garlic, onions, and spagetti sauce because my appetite has changed, I don't want to worry about the acids from the sauce affecting the pan.... something I read about using SS or aluminum, I think.
Also, I often let my leftovers cool in the pan, throw some plasic wrap across the top, set the lid on and refridgerate til the following day. Maybe I'll reheat in the pan, maybe I'll transfer to a plate and nuke it....

Breakfast usually needs two fry pans, but sometimes I get by cooking my home fries, bacon and eggs in one pan. For this reason I am wondering if I should stick with non-stick..... (I didn't say that on purpose ) because most of the things I've read have said to keep one non-stick pan for your eggs, but I know I wouldn't be able to keep a dedicated pan just for eggs. I'd end up frying something else in there, too.
I should mention that I'm not into making pan gravy yet and nearly fell out of my chair when I saw some pans going for a couple hundred bucks not for me....
I picked up a cheapo square pan from Wally World 6 months ago and the coating looks like it's turning brown in spots already I don't use metal utensils.

So, is there any help for me? Can someone recommend a few pans that will hold me over for another 20 years, or am I better off going cheap and replacing every couple years? My pots are just fine, BTW.

Fred

Old 02-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Executive Chef

ok, from what you say, you need two kinds of pans ... some stainless steel, and some silverstone lined.

on the stainless : you want clad of some type...heavy metal cooks evenly. good clad pans are usually aluminum with stainless lining. THe top brand will be All Clad, but there are others out there that are cheaper (made overseas)

You will also want some stick free (silver stone) which will not last as long in the dishwasher, sorry but when you bombard a pan with hard gritty lye pellets, it does take a toll. I recommend getting "restaurant pans" for this ... wearever or nordic ware or something similar...they are meant to take a beating, they are heavy aluminum with a good silverstone lining, and they are not expensive by comparison to say AllClad.

So happy shopping

Old 02-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I have three Calphalon non stick pans. They are really not that expensive, yet they are durable. I recommend them if you don't want to spend a lot but yet want something that will be functional for awhile. I don't know about 20 years tho. The finish is bound to get a little scraped up by then. There are some great sales at department stores. I got my Mom two Calphalon non-stick omelet pans (a set) for $40.00 around Christmas. They should stay in good condition for maybe 10 years.

Going too cheap on pans presents some problems. If they are too light weight things burn and cook too quickly and unevenly not to mention that the finish on cheap pans are so very "temporary".
Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Executive Chef

dishwasher use voids the calphalon warrenty, which is why I recommended the "resaraunt pans"
Old 02-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I thought my post disappeared.... what does "ISO" mean?

There used to be a store by where I live that sold commercial grade cookware, but not anymore
Are there online sources for this? Or will the pan description say "restaurant quality? I could spend days looking at cookware at Amazon.... and I think I already have.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
Executive Chef

ISO means in search of
Old 02-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

In search of..... That I am
Old 02-12-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Broadway Panhandler, A Cook's Best Resource

Cookware & More : All-Clad Outlet

Fante's Kitchen Wares Shop - Fantes.com

to leave food in the pan in the fridge overnight: stainless steel, glass, enameled cast iron or steel.

dishwasher safe: stainless steel, glass, some enamled cast iron.

real restaurant pans are about 2.5 to 3 mm thick with riveted handles...polished aluminum (and you want silverstone lining non stick)

Kitchenware online at Cooking.com: Shop for small appliances, cookware, cutlery, bakeware, tableware, and more plus find recipes.

www.chefscatalogue.com

www.williams-sanoma.com (very expensive)
Old 02-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks A LOT!
I was just visiting some sponsor's links and was having a hard time finding silverstone and in the names mentioned. I went to Amazon, too. The one sponsor that said Budget Restaurant supply, or something like that, looked like it just had really cheap stuff, so I guess the "restaurant" in the name was just a facade.

I'll let you folks know what I decide on.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

OK, so I am taking it that SS is OK to put in the fridge without the non-stick surface? Why can't this be done with the non-stick surface..... I've been doing this for years. Is this unhealthy now? I thought I read that overheating the pan caused the problems with non-stick, or maybe I am confusing non-stick with teflon. I don't know if there's more than one non-stick surface, or if they make it textured anymore like they used to.

That cooking.com is a great site. Lots to choose from and way easier to find what I was looking for compared to Fantes. I was looking at the T-Fal, too, it has served me so well in the past, but I can't figure out why they only offer the SS T-Fal in the sets. I only need the fry pans and saute pan and they only sell the non-stick version separately.

I'd like to give SS a try, but not at a $200 trial, but I don't want to have a separate egg pan either...
I'm probably more confused now than I was yesterday this time (lol).