"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-26-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO pan storage methods

I hope I'm in the right forum with this question....
I'd like to get a pegboard for my kitchen wall to store my new SS pans on. I was thinking some clear lexan to let the wall color show through. Mounted slightly away from the wall with spacers. I've called Lowe's, H-D and the like and they don't offer anything, let alone seem to know what I'm talking about.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Doing a search on pegboard didn't yield anything. Oh, and I'd like something more secure than those hooks used for tool storage on pegboard. Seems like they always come off with the tool.

Am I fishing for answers where there are none? Is anything like this available?

Thanks

Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Kitchens get dirty. There's always a lot of stuff in the air (vaporized grease and smoke) that settles on every surface. Some of that will settle on the back side of the clear plastic panel and you will have to take it down to clean it properly. If you doubt what I say is true, pull your stove away from the wall and take a look behind it.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
If you doubt what I say is true, pull your stove away from the wall and take a look behind it.
No way..... there's all kinds of gunk back there

Point taken. I'll keep stacking them in the cupboards. Or maybe get a small wall hanging cupboard, as shallow as I can find, get rid of the shelves and hang them in there somehow.

Thanks. I guess that was a bad idea. I'm not big on cleaning as it is.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

If you have an island or counter that extends into the room, you could hang a pot rack from the ceiling. You also could get hanger racks (like towel racks with hooks hanging from them) and put them where you wanted to put the plastic board.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
Executive Chef

how about a pot rack hanging from the ceiling or wall? many to choose from out there
Old 02-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

My kitchen stinks. It's an old farmhouse that I've slowly remodeled one room at a time, but there wasn't a whole lot I could do with the kitchen. The kitchen doesn't even have an outside window, as the previous owners added a sunporch to the one wall with windows, but left the wall and two open windows (no glass). The sink faces the opposite wall . I don't have any place to put a pot rack (unless it's over the kitchen table) and figured the pegboard would allow me to stagger the pans in the one small space I have available, which is between those two windows. I think I can get a small wall cabinet to fit in that space and it will keep the pans cleaner than letting them hang... in case I don't use one for a while.

I appreciate the quick replies and suggestions.
I guess I need one of those kitchen do-over shows to come in
Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
Executive Chef

in place of a peg board which is goin gto get cruddy fast...try to make your own custom device with 1x3 lumber cut to size, painted with a washable tpe, drilled and dowled or hooked as your pots need and secured to the wall. perhaps two vertical strips with 3 or 4 hangers each or maybe 2 horizontal (alternating large and small pans)
Old 02-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
My kitchen has a very low ceiling due to recessed flourescent lighting, so if I used a ceiling rack I would continously be banging my head on it, just like I do with the chandelier in the dining room, whcih is really my home office.

This is what I use in my kitchen.

Unfortunately, I can not for the life of me remember where I bought it, but I do remember that it was purchased on line, so there's a starting point for you to begin your search.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #9
Sous Chef

You can do a flat pot rack on the wall you were going to do the pegboard. You can use a bathroom "grab bar" for the rack--the kind of wall bar you see in handicapped bathroom stalls--usually brushed stainless. Then get hooks that hang over it.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Executive Chef

metal pipe rods and brackets...or the ornamental cutain rods which are thick enough