"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Strangely enough "sheet pans" aren't used to bake "sheet cakes". Cakes are usually categorized by "sheet pan" sizes though.

I have 1/4 sheet and 1/2 sheet jellyroll pans that are 1" but they really aren't made to bake cakes.
It may not be the norm, but I have seen cakes baked in sheet and half sheet pans then frosted and served out of them.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I've seen that too, that's how my school cafeteria did it.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Old 04-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Strangely enough "sheet pans" aren't used to bake "sheet cakes". Cakes are usually categorized by "sheet pan" sizes though.

I have 1/4 sheet and 1/2 sheet jellyroll pans that are 1" but they really aren't made to bake cakes.
We always used full sheet pans to bake sheet cakes, in both bakeries I worked. They had inserts the same size, made of fiberglass, that fit inside and allowed the cake to rise two inches high with square sides.

Well, I tried looking for them, but can't remember what they were called. Shrek says they called them "Cake Boards" .....Aha! Pan Extenders:

Pan Extender Fiberglass 18" x 26" x 2", Sheet Pans & Pan Extenders
Old 04-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Mine are Magic Line brand, made by Parrish Pans. Google them - they're widely available in both 2" and 3" heights. They are the only true vertical sided pans I've found.

I've had them for over 30 years, and they still hold shape without warping, thanks to the flange around the edge.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
We always used full sheet pans to bake sheet cakes, in both bakeries I worked. They had inserts the same size, made of fiberglass, that fit inside and allowed the cake to rise two inches high with square sides.

Well, I tried looking for them, but can't remember what they were called. Shrek says they called them "Cake Boards" .....Aha! Pan Extenders:

Pan Extender Fiberglass 18" x 26" x 2", Sheet Pans & Pan Extenders
I've heard of those. By the way it sits in the pan, it looks like it might make the cake a bit smaller than 18x26, similar in size to a full sheet cake pan

Old 04-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Mine are Magic Line brand, made by Parrish Pans. Google them - they're widely available in both 2" and 3" heights. They are the only true vertical sided pans I've found.

I've had them for over 30 years, and they still hold shape without warping, thanks to the flange around the edge.
I've been looking at both that brand and the fat daddio's. I got 2 of the fat daddio's cheesecake pans (looks like a regular cake pan with a removable bottom that just sets there, no clamps involved. And the quality of the fat daddio's seems really good and the sides nice and straight.

I think that the next time I order a new cake pan I'll order a Magic Line pan, just for comparison's sake, both seem to be very highly rated on Amazon.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I've heard of those. By the way it sits in the pan, it looks like it might make the cake a bit smaller than 18x26, similar in size to a full sheet cake pan
Silly! Like a 1/16th of an inch on each side makes that much difference. You do have to make sure there's room for the icing

They do fit snug in the pan, get good height on your cakes and nice square sides. I do miss working in the bakery...
Old 04-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Silly! Like a 1/16th of an inch on each side makes that much difference. You do have to make sure there's room for the icing

They do fit snug in the pan, get good height on your cakes and nice square sides. I do miss working in the bakery...
I'm a guy, of course 1/16th of an inch makes a difference.....

Old 04-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
Certified Cake Maniac

I will admit I haven't read the thread fully but saw what the requirements are and a reference to Fat Daddio's.

They are by far the BEST baking pans (and other items) around. Maybe a little expensive compared to other brands, but for quality the others do not compare!

If you want nice straight sides, sharp corners and even baking look at Fat Daddio's for sure!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote