"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO Pressure Cooker Tips

I got my first pressure cooker for xmas. Now I need to get a clue how to use it!! LOL I know it cooks food quick.

Any and all pressure cooker tips/cooking times for any & all foods /recipes/ideas will be appreciated.

I have a 5.5 lb bottom round but I can only find recipe/instructions for 3 lbs of meat to cook for 45 - 55 minutes. Can I cook this one for 60 minutes? Or do I HAVE to cut it down?

Thank you in advance.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'd cut it into two or three pieces just to even the cooking areas of the meat. I've never had one on for a whole hour. 45 minutes sounds about right.

Remember that this much pressure can be DANGEROUS. It works well, extremely well, but follow the basic guidelines strictly.

Your seal ring must be absolutely clean and set in right. Don't leave it unattended. When the time is up, take off the heat, and when the "bell" or whatever you call it stops making noise, remove it quickly. let it sit for awhile while getting other dinner things ready.

Slowly, separate the handles so that you can get the top off and gradually take it off.

You will find your meat fork tender. Make gravy, have fun. Eat.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'd cut it into two or three pieces just to even the cooking areas of the meat. I've never had one on for a whole hour. 45 minutes sounds about right.

Remember that this much pressure can be DANGEROUS. It works well, extremely well, but follow the basic guidelines strictly.

Your seal ring must be absolutely clean and set in right. Don't leave it unattended. When the time is up, take off the heat, and when the "bell" or whatever you call it stops making noise, remove it quickly. let it sit for awhile while getting other dinner things ready.

Slowly, separate the handles so that you can get the top off and gradually take it off.

You will find your meat fork tender. Make gravy, have fun. Eat.
Zhizara is absolutely correct.
If you got this new for Christmas, to be sure it came with an instruction manual. If you have the instruction manual, read it and follow the directions closely.
If you don't have the instruction manual, the maker's name and model number of the pressure cooker should be stamped on it somewhere. You will likely be able to find on online copy of the manual.
Pressure cookers are wonderful. I use mine a lot but you can get into some serious trouble in a hurry if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
How big is it?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I got my first pressure cooker for xmas. Now I need to get a clue how to use it!! LOL I know it cooks food quick.

Any and all pressure cooker tips/cooking times for any & all foods /recipes/ideas will be appreciated.

I have a 5.5 lb bottom round but I can only find recipe/instructions for 3 lbs of meat to cook for 45 - 55 minutes. Can I cook this one for 60 minutes? Or do I HAVE to cut it down?

Thank you in advance.
That sounds like a long time for a pressure cooker. I've cooked a 3 pound to shredding texture in about 20 minutes.

IMO pressure cookers are great for meat, beans and other long-cooking stuff but very impractical (yet doable) for veggies and other quick cooking foods.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
How big is it?
6 quart
Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Head Chef

I have been using mine for cooking whole grains--works great and I like the texture better then when I used to cook the grains in a saucepan. Barley takes 18 minutes instead of 45.

If your food is not quite done when you take the lid off, you can always put the lid back on for a couple more minutes, or finish it without sealing the lid. Take the ring out of the lid and use it like a regular pan.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Head Chef

I forgot--the pressure cooker is absolutely great for making stock--the stock is clear and delicious, and if you cook the bones and meat long enough, the dogs and cats will love the stuff you strain out--poultry bones get soft and are easily crushed. I haven't done beef stock, so check those bones before you feed them.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
Cook

pressure cooker even greater for vegetables :)
Old 12-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
6 quart
Depending on the shape, that might be big enough for pressure canning. You would need a rack for the bottom. Pressure canning is great, even for stuff that could be water bath canned. In my experience, everything sealed on the first try. YMMV