"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Amazon carries all that stuff too, if there isn't a restaurant supply store nearby

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'm embarrassed to admit I don't bake often, but I'm not missing many of these....not sure I'd need them...probably don't need all the stuff I have...not to mention the stuff that isn't on the list that I have...

BAKEWARE

***Apple baker
****Coeur a la creme mold
****Cornstick pan
****Madeleine pan
****Panettone mold
****Stollen mold

COFFEE & TEA

****Coffee roaster

COOKBOOKS (got those covered)

COOKWARE

***Paella pan
****Chestnut roaster
****Couscoussier
****Mongolian fire pot
****Pate mold
****Polenta pot
****Tagine
****Zabaglione pan

CUTLERY & RELATED TOOLS

****Aspic cutters
****Sushi & sashimi knives
****Truffle slicer

GADGETS

****Butane burner
****Caviar spoons & plates
****Duck press
****Pasta dryer
****Spaetzle maker
****Thermometer, wine
****Thermometer, yogurt
****Whipped cream maker

SMALL ELECTRICS
*Can opener (have a manual one)
****Gallette iron
****Raclette
****Pizzelle maker (that would be the krumkake/pizelle iron)
I didn't suggest Fantes to imply that she needed everything they offer. they are a good place to get a general education about the hows and whys of some of the equipment used in a kitchen.

Any reasonable person has the free agency to pick and choose what they want and/or need.

I've always found their staff to be very informative and helpful when I've called them. They've never tried to sell me anything either. Just answer my questions. I appreciate that.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I didn't suggest Fantes to imply that she needed everything they offer. they are a good place to get a general education about the hows and whys of some of the equipment used in a kitchen.

Any reasonable person has the free agency to pick and choose what they want and/or need.

I've always found their staff to be very informative and helpful when I've called them. They've never tried to sell me anything either. Just answer my questions. I appreciate that.
I understood your intention Katie. Most of us with complete kitchens have far too many cooking items we don't need, or even use. Unless one has unlimited space, and a boat load of money one needs to choose wisely.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #14
Head Chef

Until you know it's an item your going to use a lot you should go with the cheapest you can find. K-Mart, Walmart, etc. items are great to use for this.
Use them until they wear out and find the properties you need in said items. Sometimes the Cheapo version is all you need.

When you find you need an upgrade on something then a good internet search with your acquired knowledge is in order.

Every kitchen/chef needs something.

Figuring out what that is and how much to budget for it is a subjective thing.

I always start cheap and place any replacements into the learning curve.

Some of the cheapest things I ever acquired are still around and functioning very well after years of use.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I understood your intention Katie. Most of us with complete kitchens have far too many cooking items we don't need, or even use. Unless one has unlimited space, and a boat load of money one needs to choose wisely.

Yes space and cost are both considerations for me.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Agreed. When you decide you want to try making something that requires a new dish or piece of equipment, that's the time to look into buying it. Someone's arbitrary list isn't necessarily relevant to your needs.

TJ Maxx/Home Goods/Marshall's is also a good source of discount good-quality kitchen equipment, like KitchenAid and Cuisinart. But I have also bought several pieces from a local restaurant supply store.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'm embarrassed to admit I don't bake often, but I'm not missing many of these....not sure I'd need them...probably don't need all the stuff I have...not to mention the stuff that isn't on the list that I have...
No need to be embarrassed, CWS. Most people don't have that much stuff and most people don't need it. I would venture to say that people who do have all that stuff are either professional chefs or wannabes who are showing off. So I wouldn't worry about lacking any of it.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #18
Master Chef

I'm not at all embarrassed by my lack of bakeware (or baking skills) - if I want to bake something and don't have the exact pan it calls for, I make do with what I have, adjust the cooking time, and hope for the best!
Old 11-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #19
Master Chef

Some of us just don't enjoy baking, and many of us like me, sure don't need the calories involved. If I really want to do a cake, maybe twice a year, I use my 9x13 that I use all the time for other things. My cupcake pan is in the garage with various nuts and bolts in it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Has anyone tried silicone bakeware? I saw a silicone donut baking tray on a blog and was intrigued.

Tags
rice