ISO recommendations for an all purpose, oversized stainless steel skillet/pan.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
hi everyone.

i was wondering, if you had your choice, money not being an object, what one large sized stainless steel skillet or pan would you buy for home use. i am looking for an extra large skillet type pan (it doesn't have to be a skillet tho. an all purpose paella type pan would be ok, for instance); one that can be used both stove top and in the oven to at least 500 degrees.
i have a several pans: non-stick omelette, frying, and square sided; and a few cast iron pans; but i would like to get a stainless steel pan, preferrably oversized so as not to have to crowd things or do multiple batches.

thanks in advance for your responses.

My first thought would be to check out a restaurant supply store and don't worry about the brand as much as long as you don't care too much about the looks of the pan. I would think that for oversized you would have a much greater selection that way. Just a guess though.

thanks gb and jenny, as usual. you guys are great!

i initially thought all clad, but i was hoping that someone might have experience with little known but great performing professional cookware.

before i buy the all clad, i will definitely check out a restaurant supply store. weight and looks really don't matter to me. it's all about performance.

ok, anyone know of a good restaurant supply place in or around nyc?

it doesn't have to be retail. a very good friend and restaurant owner will vouch for me being a "chef"...lol. i'm sure i can bs my way through the rest of it.

I can't help you with a store location, but what about your restaurant owner friend? Is he in NJ/NY or is he somehwere else? I bet he could probably get you a good deal, maybe even one right out if his restaurant :)

Before you spend the money to pay for All-Clad's commercials and gratis donations to the Food TV chefs, check out Le Gourmet Chef's tri-ply stainless. I guarantee you will get the same quality, performance, and guarantee as All-Clad, at 1/3 the price!

but you may not get the size you want...that all clad 6 qt is a big pan, just what you asked for. Most Paella pans are not stainless but carbon steel, needing seasoning etc, but they can take the heat, and they come quite big. But carbon steel like cast iron is acid reactive unless VERYwell seasoned. You may also find a large sautier or chef's pan with two side handles from the big companies. check their sites for options, also chefscatalogue and cooking .com etc.

thanks caine and robo.

there's a le gourmet chef store in "the crossings" outlet in the poconos. when there's nuttin going on, we'll take a sunday drive out there to hit the outlet stores. i've bought a lot of stuff there: oxo knives, pizza stone, cast iron fondue set, sauces and spices, etc.. i'll have to check out their cookware the next time we go.

there's no rush for the pan. the more i've gotten into cooking, the more i've realized that i'd really like a big, heavy skillet.

i'm impressed with all clad, but i'll wait to actually compare them in person.

thanks again.

Caine, thanks for the Le Gourmet site. I'm shopping for a new skillet for searing. I love my Calaphon skillets, but my favorite one has a spot where the Teflon has come off. My husband thinks it's probably unsafe to use...what do you all think?

It is still safe to use. You should call Calphalon though as their pans carry a lifetime warranty. As long as the teflon came off because of normal ware and tear and not because you scratched it with a metal utensil or something like that then they should replace it free of charge.

Thank you GB. I've been thinking I should do that. I don't have a sales slip, but maybe they'll at least make an adjustment on a new one. I will do as you recommended.
I take very good care of my pots and pans. This happened when I was searing stuffed pork chops. After the pan soaked (overnight) and was washed, there was a burnt piece still sticking to the pan. I used the recommended little plastic scrubbie, but when the burnt part came off, so did some of the coating.

You should not need your sales slip. It does not matter to them where or when you bought it, only that it is their product.

I cooked a few sausage links in my small Calphalon non stick last week. I got distracted and they got a little burnt. I am having a heck of a time getting them clean. I might give them a call as well.

GB, I found their web site yesterday and sent them an email. There is also a phone number listed, which I will use if I don't hear from them pretty soon.
We will see what happens.
Years ago, when I had a gas range, I burnt the wooden handle on one of my Le Crueset sauce pans. I sent it in, and they sent me back a brand new pan.

Constance said:
I love my Calaphon skillets, but my favorite one has a spot where the Teflon has come off. My husband thinks it's probably unsafe to use...what do you all think?

Well, you won't be able to say anything you cooked in it "sticks to your ribs!"

If you are going to Le Gourmet Chef anyway, they are a Calphalon dealer, so you might just want to drag the peeling pan along with you.

Take a look at frenchcookware.com. They have carbon steel fry pans up to about 20'' dia. for less than $100.00. Carbon steel is what woks and paella pans are commonly made of.
I realize you asked about stainless, but carbon steel might worth a look, especially if you're concerned about giving it a lot of heat

Last edited:
thank you again for the responses, especially fcrosson. i don't have a problem with carbon steel, but i'd like the convenience of stainless. i will check out the site you've mentioned, thanks. functionality is the key here. who cares how nice my pots look, so long as the food comes out right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom