"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-20-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to bookworm
ISO replacement lid handle?

I was given a large pot from an elderly relative who knows I cook. She can't use it any more because the lid is missing its handle. It screwed onto a fixed screw in the lid. For years she's been picking up this very heavy lid with just a hot pad over the screw. Crazy.

Anyone know where I can buy a (preferably heat-proof) screw-on replacement handle? Thanks!

Old 05-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Head Chef

Go to a used store and buy a junk lid with a good knob. Or buy a drawer knob from a building materials type store.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I buy a lot of cookware at yard sales and occasionally have to replace knobs on lids. I have used porcelain ones I bought at Lowe's or The Home Depot. Not too expensive and durable, plus the porcelain doesn't conduct heat like metal ones could.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Or you could go to a hardware store and buy a replacement knob with a screw.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Or you could go to a hardware store and buy a replacement knob with a screw.
Yep. I sell several styles of handles at my Ace Hardware store.

Lee
Old 05-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
buy a replacement knob with a screw
But the only ones I've seen at the hardware store were nasty plastic knobs that looked like they were for 50 cent garage sale pans. I'll use it if I have to, but I'd rather have a cute stainless steel rooster, truth be told!

Do hardware stores generally carry heatproof knobs somewhere other than the "kitchen accessories" area? Sorry; can you tell I don't hang around the Home Depot much?
Old 05-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I assumed you wanted a practical knob so you wouldn't have to be, " picking up this very heavy lid with just a hot pad over the screw."

Sorry, I have no idea where to find a stainless steel rooster with a screw in it.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Sous Chef

If you're having trouble finding a replacement handle, you could look into getting a universal lid.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm
But the only ones I've seen at the hardware store were nasty plastic knobs that looked like they were for 50 cent garage sale pans. I'll use it if I have to, but I'd rather have a cute stainless steel rooster, truth be told!

Do hardware stores generally carry heatproof knobs somewhere other than the "kitchen accessories" area? Sorry; can you tell I don't hang around the Home Depot much?
Bookworm, go to the building materials section of the store and look in the area where hardware is sold for cabinet doors, etc. That's where I bought the porcelain ones for my lids. The knobs come in lots of colors, some with decorative designs on them.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Sorry, Andy, I haven't hung around here long enough for you to know my sense of humor, and the dang Innernets can mangle intent. I really meant that I could only find plastic knobs at the hardware store and I was hoping to find stainless steel or the like, something heatproof if I could.

But....if I had my druthers, I'd definitely be looking for a rooster to grace to top of my new stock pot! Maybe I'll go into the rooster and pig stainless steel pot knob business. Y'all will be the first to know.

Thanks Katie. Back to Ace I go!