ISO Rice Cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife uses a pan for rice, I usually only make rice for Sushi. I'll make 10 cups or so at a time. The last rice cooker I bought was a big 10 cup Aroma. 35 bucks at Wally World. It worked great about two times and then the plastic hinge assembly melted from the steam. I now have a back up smaller Aroma, but I will probably pick up a Japanese one from a local Asian market.

Some if them are insane. I think they actually do wash windows and make your bed in the morning.

I make rice dishes like that also GG, but always in a skillet with sauteed veggies and spices in the liquid. For those rice dishes I like to also cook the raw rice in oil to get some color.
I was under the impression that a rice cooker was for only for cooking plain rice with liquid. No??
When I make these dishes, it's in a saucepan on the stovetop. I only make plain rice in the microwave. I don't know if you can do this in a rice cooker; I've never owned one.

ETA: Seeing SLoB's post, I guess you can.

Last edited:
Not only can you make all your usual rice recipes in a rice cooker, I make both my Mexican rice and Mexican yellow rice (not to be confused with Canadian yellow snow) you can make packaged rice products, like Zatarain's red beans and rice and all the Near East rices and blends, in your rice cooker. Just add all the ingredients listed in the instructions and then set it and forget it.
I haven't bought any packaged rice mixes since I got my rice cooker. I do it all in the Zoji. All I have to do is start it soon enough so that it is done sometime before the rest of the meal is ready. Like SLoB points out, it's set and forget, as it automatically goes to keep warm mode when done. It's a real convenience when I'm outside tending to the grill.

The Zoji arrived safely late yesterday.

What an adventure just getting it set up. I was reading the manual. Doing everything it said to do. You know the manual could use a little love.

Had to call in backup just to set the clock. Begged my son to make it stop playing " Twinkle,Twinkle,Little Star" I was laughing my butt off at that one.
Who's sick twisted idea was that!? A simple beep will do thank you :)

Once that was done thank God, I was told the problem was me. "Never read the manual Mom" Just for that comment I took the ricer bowl rinser and wore it like a hat, just to gross him out. Mom just went DEVO on him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_QLzthSkfM

Crack that whip!:ohmy::LOL:

He made the first batch of rice.
The Zoji did make the perfect pot of rice. Everybody loved it.
Glad I picked the large one. Mr.Munky thought the Zoji was genius.

It will be used again today for tonight's pot roast dinner.
Can't wait to try other recipes for it.

Munky.

Saute onions, veggies, mushrooms, etc. on Quick mode. Then you cancel and take the bowl out for 10 minutes or so to let it cool before you start the rice cycle. The zoji will give you an error code if you try to start another cycle while it is still hot.

OR you can toss the measuring cups, not be concerned using the same pot with the same lid on the same burner with the same amount of humidity in the air (seriously, room humidity wasn't even factored into Dan Souza's computation. How accurate could he be? :D ) to cook perfect rice.

On occasion when I have had too many things to keep track of, I've used Sara Mounton's method. Basically, cook the grains like you cook pasta. Easy. Peasy. Rice.

How Do You Cook Rice?

I know that ATK likes trying to pull in the science of cooking. I get it. But sometimes my brain is just too darned tired to keep track of science. At those times, I'd rather use the KISS* method.

* Don't pucker up - it's an acronym for Keep It Simple, Stupid.

On occasion when I have had too many things to keep track of, I've used Sara Mounton's method. Basically, cook the grains like you cook pasta. Easy. Peasy. Rice.

How Do You Cook Rice?

I know that ATK likes trying to pull in the science of cooking. I get it. But sometimes my brain is just too darned tired to keep track of science. At those times, I'd rather use the KISS* method.

* Don't pucker up - it's an acronym for Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Totally agree....

Ross

Back
Top Bottom