ISO small pot for cooking rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get it that some folks are convinced that a rice cooker is the only way to go, and if you make rice every day, that may be true. Having the counter space to leave it out is another issue. It makes no sense to drag it out of storage for a pot of rice. For the rest of us who cook rice only occasionally, my multi purpose pan works fine. I set it and forget it until my timer goes off.

Last edited:
I get it that some folks are convinced that a rice cooker is the only way to go, and if you make rice every day, that may be true. Having the counter space to leave it out is another issue. It makes no sense to drag it out of storage for a pot of rice. For the rest of us who cook rice only occasionally, my multi purpose pan works fine. I set it and forget it until my timer goes off.
You can certainly make rice in a pot, but it not as good, consistent, or as convenient as in a rice cooker. You can make brown rice in a pot (and I did for years), but it's nearly impossible to duplicate the soak and steam cycles in a microprocessor controlled rice cooker on a stovetop. Rice cooked in a rice cooker comes out perfect every time, which I could never achieve on the stovetop (especially when I'm outside on the grill).

Frozen swordfish is nowhere near as good as fresh. Parmesan cheese in a green can is nowhere near as good as Italian Parmigiano Reggiano. Bottled lemon juice is nowhere near as good as fresh squeezed. Etc., etc. Not everyone is willing to pursue the best.

I agree with Kay.
My rice weather it be jasmine or brown comes out perfect every time in my little 1.5 qt. Cuisinart saucepan. I taught my DD how to do it and hers comes out perfect every time also.
That being said my Instant Pot is a rice cooker but I see no need to use it for rice. If it isn’t broken ...

msm, I am satisfied with stovetop rice, too. I like the "if it ain't broke..." view that you have. ;)

...Frozen swordfish is nowhere near as good as fresh. Parmesan cheese in a green can is nowhere near as good as Italian Parmigiano Reggiano. Bottled lemon juice is nowhere near as good as fresh squeezed. Etc., etc. Not everyone is willing to pursue the best.
Ahem, you might want to pull back on the emboldened part. :glare: I think all of us strive to pursue the best. We just prioritize our "best" differently than you do. I buy P/R cheese often and fresh lemons nearly weekly, but cook rice perhaps once a month. I'd rather save the money from the shelf-sitting appliance and spend it on the quality edibles. I'm probably not the only one who runs their kitchen that way, too. Just sayin'...

...Frozen swordfish is nowhere near as good as fresh. Parmesan cheese in a green can is nowhere near as good as Italian Parmigiano Reggiano. Bottled lemon juice is nowhere near as good as fresh squeezed. Etc., etc. Not everyone is willing to pursue the best.

I take exception to your claim that a rice cooker is the best way to cook rice. ANY METHOD that produces proper rice is all that's necessary.

I take exception to your claim that a rice cooker is the best way to cook rice. ANY METHOD that produces proper rice is all that's necessary.
Yup. Like I say every time this comes up - the microwave and a microwave-safe dish make great rice. Cook on high for 7 minutes, stir, cook for 8 minutes, done. It's perfect every time, stops cooking by itself, and stays nice and warm till serving time. Easy peasy and no special equipment required.

Last edited:
I guess I must not be critical enough about rice. It's really a fairly uninteresting food until it's married with something to give it some flavor. I usually cook it in chicken or beef stock, often after sautéing some garlic and/or onion in butter, then adding the rice and liquid. That's really only practical in a stovetop pan.

I only cook brown rice. I am very pleased with the results in an enamelled, cast iron Dutch oven. When I first started cooking rice, I used a stainless steel pot, but sometimes it scorched. I don't have that problem with the enamelled cast iron, unless I forget the rice and leave it on the heat for far too long.

I guess I must not be critical enough about rice. It's really a fairly uninteresting food until it's married with something to give it some flavor. I usually cook it in chicken or beef stock, often after sautéing some garlic and/or onion in butter, then adding the rice and liquid. That's really only practical in a stovetop pan.

I agree. It's rare that I cook a pot of plain rice.

That's incorrect. One of Mrs. T's favorites is when I saute some diced bacon in the cooker, then add some mushrooms once some fat has rendered. Once the 'shrooms have shrunk a bit, I add wild rice blend and chicken stock, hit the start button, and ignore it. It automatically goes to keep warm when done, so there's no chance of scorching, and it can keep for hours. I've done coconut rice, lemony basmati rice, Spanish rice, and a few others.

The Zoji makes great risotto. I've never had real Nonna made risotto, so I can't compare. I've had risotto at a good Italian restaurant, and the Zoji version is just as good (in my opinion). The microprocessor controlled cookers also have a porridge function, which is a lower temperature boil, so you can make steel cut oats in whole milk.

I have a Krups 5 cup rice cooker/steamer/slow cooker/ oatmeal maker.They also make a 10 cup size, but I have never needed 10 cups of rice for one meal. I have always been extremey satisified with Krups appliances. It replaces 4 different pieces of equipment and takes no counter space because I keep it on the bottom shelf of my pantry. It's not in the way, but it's close when I need it.

51vjEVVIW4L._SL1098_.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting a rice cooker but the Japanese brands are large and extremely pricey. If I could find a good quality rice cooker with a ceramic insert that isn’t too large, I’d consider it. I don’t need an 8 or 10 cup size.

You can certainly make rice in a pot, but it not as good, consistent, or as convenient as in a rice cooker. You can make brown rice in a pot (and I did for years), but it's nearly impossible to duplicate the soak and steam cycles in a microprocessor controlled rice cooker on a stovetop. Rice cooked in a rice cooker comes out perfect every time, which I could never achieve on the stovetop (especially when I'm outside on the grill).

Frozen swordfish is nowhere near as good as fresh. Parmesan cheese in a green can is nowhere near as good as Italian Parmigiano Reggiano. Bottled lemon juice is nowhere near as good as fresh squeezed. Etc., etc. Not everyone is willing to pursue the best.

I am not a rice expert, but I have to challenge this idea that a rice cooker is better than a good saucepan for cooking rice.

I own both. My rice cooker is on the large size, so I rarely use it. My All-Clad sauce pan and lid cooks rice every bit as well as my rice cooker, just less at a time.

Rice is really not that hard to cook.

CD

kitchengoddess8, This thread has gotten much more complicated than it needs to be. That happens here a lot. :rolleyes::LOL:

Rice cookers work. Pans work.

If you want to cook a small amount of rice, you are probably better off with a good, thick saucepan. You can also use it to cook other things... a multi-tasker.

Like I said before, I own both. I use my rice cooker to make enough rice for a big family meal. If I am cooking a meal for myself, I use my All-Clad 1.5 quart sauce pan and lid. It is the right tool for the job.

CD

kitchengoddess8, This thread has gotten much more complicated than it needs to be. That happens here a lot. :rolleyes::LOL:

Rice cookers work. Pans work.

If you want to cook a small amount of rice, you are probably better off with a good, thick saucepan. You can also use it to cook other things... a multi-tasker.

Like I said before, I own both. I use my rice cooker to make enough rice for a big family meal. If I am cooking a meal for myself, I use my All-Clad 1.5 quart sauce pan and lid. It is the right tool for the job.

CD

CD, thanks for helping to simplify this! The All-Clad sauce pan you have sounds like a great multi-tasker.

I saw this Tranontina Tri-Ply 1.5 quart sauce pan on Bed Bath’s website. What do you think?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/tramontina-reg-gourmet-tri-ply-clad-saucepan/3262922

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom