ISO small pot for cooking rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I’m looking for a small pot with a secure lid (and no steam holes) for making rice. I don’t need anything bigger than a 2 quart pot at this time. I’m especially interested in trying to make sushi rice, but I plan to cook other types of rice as well. Please share your suggestions!

I use a 1.5 quart All-Clad try-ply sauce pan and lid that I use to make small amounts of rice. I have a rice cooker for lager amounts. Both work well.

CD

I use a 1.5 quart All-Clad try-ply sauce pan and lid that I use to make small amounts of rice. I have a rice cooker for lager amounts. Both work well.

CD

That’s the perfect size for my needs! Did the sauce pan come with a lid or did you have to buy the lid separately?

I use a 2-quart All-Clad for a cup of rice. For larger quantities I use a 3-quart pan. It doesn’t have to be All-Clad. I think all
Saucepans come with lids

I have this one and use it all the time for rice. I LOVE IT. $17.95 on Amazon.

Cuisinart MCP19-16N MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 1-1/2-Quart Saucepan with Cover

FAB62752-0DE2-49DC-80B1-571C6F612BE3.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MC...dpPl=1&dpID=31j9ppc-8VL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:
I use a 2-quart All-Clad for a cup of rice. For larger quantities I use a 3-quart pan. It doesn’t have to be All-Clad. I think all
Saucepans come with lids

Thanks Andy! I have a 1.5 quart stainless steel Cuisinart, but I don’t know if the bottom is heavy enough to make sushi rice. Is there a way to tell? What kind of rice have do you make in the All-Clad?

I make white rice, pilaf and I've made sushi rice too.

Im a fan of trivia-ply cookware. Any reputable brand will probably do a good job.

Last edited:
That saucepan looks amazing and is very well priced! Is the bottom reasonably heavy as needed for sushi rice?

I never made sushi rice so I can’t comment on that.

Here is a clip from the page:

Professional Results
Stainless steel cooking surface does not react with food or alter food flavors. Great for classic cooking techniques like sautéing, frying, browning, searing and slowly simmering sauces.

Superior Heat
Triple-Ply construction includes the unsurpassed heat conductivity of a pure aluminum core. It insures maximum heat retention and even heat distribution, eliminating hot spots.

A heavy bottom that will distribute heat evenly to prevent scorching and a tight-fitting lid to hold in moisture.

What are the features needed for cooking white rice well? I don’t think my Cuisinart Chef’s Classic saucepan did the best job with it.

Any good quality tri-ply pan should be thick enough to cook rice. If your current pan is one layer of stainless steel, you will have more issues with burning. A tri-ply pan, like my All-Clad, reduces that risk considerably.

The lid that came with my All-Clad 1.5 saucepan is stainless steel. It is sealed by gravity, which is all you need with a high quality pan and lid.

I have never cooked "sushi rice," so I don't know if it needs a special pan or cooker. I am guessing that it is more about the rice you use, and a cooking technique.

I do know that my regular old white rice always turns out fine with my All-Clad sauce pan. No special technique -- I just follow the instructions on the bag of rice.

CD

Last edited:
Rice Select sells sushi rice, which is a short grain sticky rice.

Sushi Rice | RiceSelect®

If you are serious about rice, get a Zojirushi microprocessor controlled rice cooker. I have a TSC-10, and it has a function for sushi rice. I've had it for a few years, and I wish I would have bought one long ago. Aside from making superb rice, set and forget is wonderful.

I’m looking for a small pot with a secure lid (and no steam holes) for making rice. I don’t need anything bigger than a 2 quart pot at this time. I’m especially interested in trying to make sushi rice, but I plan to cook other types of rice as well. Please share your suggestions!
I see it’s been mentioned already, but have you considered a rice cooker? There are models that are less expensive than a good saucepan, and most of them can be used for steaming as well, just in case you have a deep seated aversion to single-purpose kitchen gadgetry. And, as someone else mentioned, setting the rice cooker and then turning your attention to other tasks is a real deal-maker. Most rice cookers will cook any type of rice as long as the correct amount of liquid is used

Once again, the ulitimate answer is a rice cooker. You can go big or you can go small, you can go cheap or your can go astronomically expensive. You can buy a 5 or 6 cup Proctor Silex or Black & Decker rice cooker for as little as 15 bucks American at Amazon, or you can spend as much as $1500.00 on a Zojirushi Pressure Rice Cooker. Any way you go, it is simply set it and forget it and you can go on with preparing the rest of the meal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom