"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Sous Chef

A teapot and a tea kettle are two different things. If my husband gave me a copper tea kettle to polish I would assume that the daily polishing job, by him, comes with the gift. Allow her to heat her tea water in the tea kettle she has and find tea pot that compliments the rest of the kitchen. She might be happiest with a small teapot for her personal use.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thank you for the clarification. I guess I am looking for a "kettle" vs a teapot as she just uses it to heat water on the stove. I had no idea there was a distinction as I am not a tea drinker myself. This has certainly been an educational discussion for me.

In looking at different kettle's on Amazon I am surprised that the more expensive, and attractive, units get very bad reviews for poor weld joints and for enamel that chips easily. Here I thought I was being a good husband willing to buy a nicer kettle but now I'm not sure it is worthwhile.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

SO bought herself an electric water kettle. It's amazing how fast it heats water! Much faster than any stovetop.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
SO bought herself an electric water kettle. It's amazing how fast it heats water! Much faster than any stovetop.

Add me to the list of those who love their electric water kettle. I've had ours for over 10 years and will replace it in a heartbeat if and when it croaks. I use it ALL the time.

As Andy says, it heats water far quicker than the stove, plus there's no babysitting of the boiling pot. When the water gets hot, ours automatically shuts off.

The only time I use our stainless steel Revereware tea kettle is when I want to heat a huge quantity of water. Otherwise, the electric kettle is my go-to appliance for boiling water.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I agree. Go with the electric. The hot water can be used for all kinds of things besides brewing a cup of tea....packaged cocoa mix, instant noodle soup, etc., especially when a person is home alone and sick. Open a package, add water, stir, go back to bed.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Here is my short list. At this point I think I've got "function" nailed down in that I need a kettle and that I need to stay away from bronze (although it is soo gorgeous). I think any of these would do but I'll take suggestions.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
Master Chef

They all look nice to me!

If it was coming into my kitchen I would choose number 2, The Bonjour!

Try to find a glass marble to put into the kettle you choose, it will help to keep the lime buildup down or at least that is the old wives tale I was brought up with!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemchine View Post
My wife has a fairly basic teapot that she uses on our electric flat top stove. I am thinking of giving her a something special for christmas. A teapot that would be beautiful to see every day. She is very traditional and loves things that are beautiful and functional. I am perusing amazon but the choices are overwhelming. Perhaps someone would have a recommendation?
If you mean a kettle to boil the water to pour on the tea leaves in the teapot - I've just bought a shiny black enamel one from Amazon to match my beautiful new shiny black range cooker. They have it in several colours

I have long lusted after a Le Creuset Cone kettle but thought I couldn't justify the expense but the new one, though slightly different shaped, is about half the price and just as beautiful.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemchine View Post
She heats water on the stove, pours it into a cup and adds a tea bag to it. Here is a picture of the kitchen to give you an idea of the decor. I'm kind of leaning towards a copper teapot but I'm wide open to suggestions.
OK, being picky again. When making tea do NOT put the water in the cup and then put the tea bag in the water.

Unlike coffee, when the water hits the tea it should be boiling so tea bag in first then boiling water otherwise the water cools before the tea bag hits it.

This is why it's recommended that you warm the tea pot or mug with a little hot water before making your tea.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
If you stay with the stovetop model, I'd say go with the second one of the ones you've posted.

I don't care for enamel because of the occasional discoloration over time and the always-present possibility of chipping.

Wouldn't go with anything that has to be "maintained" such as having to be polished.

I've had my Revere stainless steel kettle for close to 40 years and it still looks and performs as it did when it was new.

All I've ever done to it is to, once a month, boil some white vinegar in it to remove any deposits left from the water I've used in it. When it gets less brilliant on the outside, I spray it with Easy-Off oven cleaner, smear the cleaner around on it with an old toothbrush and wash. The stainless steel is back to looking new again.

Just my thoughts on the subject.