"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO teapot (kettle, really) recommendation

My wife has a fairly basic teapot that she uses on our electric flat top stove. I am thinking of giving her a something special for christmas. A teapot that would be beautiful to see every day. She is very traditional and loves things that are beautiful and functional. I am perusing amazon but the choices are overwhelming. Perhaps someone would have a recommendation?

Old 10-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

What is her favorite color, what color is the kitchen?

Old 10-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

When you say teapot, are you talking about a metal one or a ceramic one? Does she just heat the water up on the stove and add tea to it, or pour it into a cup?
Old 10-27-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

She heats water on the stove, pours it into a cup and adds a tea bag to it. Here is a picture of the kitchen to give you an idea of the decor. I'm kind of leaning towards a copper teapot but I'm wide open to suggestions.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay. Look at those little spice jars next to the stove. It looks like they have flowers on them. Pick one that has yellow flowers and look for a tea kettle that is white but has flowers to match the spice jar. I think she would love a copper kettle, but it will require almost daily polishing. A present that requires work to maintain is not really a present. Every woman would love to have copper pots and pans. But aside from the cost, it is the constant daily polishing that keeps them on the store shelf and not in their home.

Obviously she likes the yellow that matches her stove. Her present kettle shows that. Also her present kettle has a metal handle. I would imagine that it gets hot when it is heated up. Look for a handle that wouldn't transfer the heat to the handle if you can. That is a cute tea kettle on the stove. And you have a lovely kitchen. I envy your wife.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the compliment on the kitchen. My wife picked the countertops and tile. I darkened the oak cupboards and added the handles.

Are you suggesting a porcalin teapot then? Would a hammered copper teapot also be hard to maintain? Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes. Even though they do now coat copper items with laquer, kitchen items still have to be maintained. And hammered copper would be even harder to maintain. She would have to pay attention to all the dimples. If you do decide on the dimple one, read the reviews and see how many five star ones there are compared to the lower ones. If there are more lesser number ones than the five stars, then I would pass it by.

What I have in mind is a metal one like you presently have but white with yellow flowers.

If there is a Bed, Bath and Beyond near you, the staff there can help. Go to their site and see what they have first so you know what you want when you walk into the store. If you find one, you can call the store and make sure it is in stock before you waste your gas.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thank you, your help has been great.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:49 AM   #9
Master Chef

I like Portmeirion, the Botanic Garden series is available at BB&B or at other outlets on the net.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Google the London Pottery globe teapot range. you will find various companies that do this range and the quality is excellent

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote