ISO this vintage cooling rack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I own two of these vintage cooling/baking racks(?) from the 70's or 80's (parent hand me downs). They are 7 1/2" x 6 3/4". I use them in a lot of ways. They fit down inside a square brownie pan just right. I can also set one down in a large skillet for frying if I wish to keep food off the hot pan bottom. The chrome has now worn off somewhat, but I'll not throw them away. All I see for sale nowadays are the longer rectangular cooling/baking racks. Does anyone own a square cooling/baking rack like this? Anyone have a link to buy them if they still even make them?

rack.jpg

Last edited:
I have several that size that either came from kitchen boxes from my late mom that I sorted through, toaster ovens or other small appliances that I replaced but kept the racks :), they can also be found at yard sales, thrift shops, etc.

I like that size because it fits over a dinner plate nicely for draining a small batch of fried foods, or cooling a banana bread or cookies.

Last edited:
I have several that size that either came from kitchen boxes from my late mom that I sorted through, toaster ovens or other small appliances that I replaced but kept the racks :), they can also be found at yard sales, thrift shops, etc.

I like that size because it fits over a dinner plate nicely for draining a small batch of fried foods, or cooling a banana bread or cookies.

I Googled my heart out but gave up looking for them online. I too use them for setting my fish and chips fried fish pieces on after frying. If I set my fried fish to cool on a paper towel or something, it causes the fish batter to go soggy.

I own two of these vintage cooling/baking racks(?) from the 70's or 80's (parent hand me downs). They are 7 1/2" x 6 3/4". I use them in a lot of ways. They fit down inside a square brownie pan just right. I can also set one down in a large skillet for frying if I wish to keep food off the hot pan bottom. The chrome has now worn off somewhat, but I'll not throw them away. All I see for sale nowadays are the longer rectangular cooling/baking racks. Does anyone own a square cooling/baking rack like this? Anyone have a link to buy them if they still even make them?

rack.jpg

I found this :

https://www.houzz.com/product/100614802-world-kitchen-cooling-racks-set-of-2-baking-dishes

Not exact but ...

Last edited:

rack.jpg

I have one that fits perfectly in a 9x13 cake pan. I use it often for roasting.

I have a wire rack just like yours, Caslon. It came in, umm, something long gone, so I repurposed it. It also fits perfectly in the toaster oven tray.

I've had wire racks like that that were actually the racks from a toaster oven - I bet yours is as well.

Thanks, but I'm not sure toaster oven racks would have the raised part (maybe). These square racks have all the stainless steel scrubbed off them, after 30 years plus. I like that size tho. Can't find them now. Sorry. Not a big deal. Forget it.

Last edited:
Maybe just me, but I wouldn't worry in the least about the finish not being new, unless they are rusted.

You're right, I won't. I thought shiny new ones would be more non-stick. I wish I knew the origin of these. They are not micro-wave because they have the bent metal part to stand them off from the counter. These were probably just small sized cooling racks in a size they don't make anymore. Did a coating of some kind get scrubbed off?

Last edited:
OMG!... "How To Make One Feel Old - 101"

I never knew they were 'vintage' - have just always had them since I was first married.

They are used for drying/cooling cakes, cookies, herbs, you name it! The round one has been used in roasting pan multiple times. Yep they have worn metal parts but... that's life!

Sorry, pictures don't show the size - but they are 9" square ones and the round one is 8"

Attachments

• Cake racks I.jpg
    Cake racks I.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 186
  • cake racks II.jpg
    cake racks II.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 152
  • cake racks III.jpg
    cake racks III.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 130

rack.jpg

Got two for you, 6 3/4x 7 5/8. Found them in a thrift store today, 50 cents@.

Back
Top Bottom