"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

It starts with a frying pan...? Any ideas?

Hey all, im new to this site and joined simply for some decent advice from people in the know. I have always enjoyed buying quality items, but have been neglectful in my use of quality cookware (i am still using my University cookware which comprises some 100 pieces i probably got from the dollar store for... well... probably 100 bucks)

Id really like to start out a decent cookware collection (as this is the part that is most lacking) and would like to start with the piece our family uses most... a frying pan...

We are not master chefs but decent enough that quality, heat control, and durability, is of paramount importance. Ive always wanted to own something restaurant quality...hopefully copper... price isnt extremely important as ill be buying piece by piece as i retire old pieces and find out what i truly need.

Any hints on some amazing restaurant quality pans? Id like to end up with a collection of items so hopefully the supplier you reccomend has a decent collection.

Thanks a bunch

Dano

Old 12-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

First off, welcome to the site.

Restaurants do not generally use the highest quality cookware. They buy in bulk and buy inexpensive stuff, but they know how to use it and make it do what they want. Don't get me wrong, the do not usually buy junk, but I think you are confusing yourself with the term restaurant quality.

If money is no object then check out All Clad. They have excellent cookware that will last more than a lifetime and will perform extremely well. They have a number of different lines to choose from. You can't go wrong with All Clad is you don't mind spending the $.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks :) by restaurant quality i merely meant something of higher quality and with that probably highter price. I was looking at All-Clad as they seem to be the best i can get in and around my area. Ive heard too that unless ur a true pro and know what your doing to probably stay with stainless instread of tin (in terms of using something with a copper bottom). So All-Clad is definately tops on my list so far. Any other suggestions for something of equal quality to All-Clad?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Restaurants use lower quality then what you will buy for your home. They use and abuse those pans so they need them to be inexpensive and easily replaceable.

For my money I would stay with All Clad. There are other great companies, some more expensive and others less, but for a frying pan I would go AC without a doubt.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:10 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Any specific line of theirs that you would reccommend?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

another vote for all clad.
for durability, i'd go with the stainless steel.

you will probably want at least one non-stick fry pan of at least 8", however. just be sure to keep expensive non-stick cookware from a dishwasher. the harsh detergents combined with the drying action can destroy a non-stick surface.

and welcome, okeydokey.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:12 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

In my opinion they all perform equally well. The differences in the lines are mostly visual.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:14 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

i've heard that there's very slight differences in weight and thickness of different lines of all clad, but i have no facts on hand. will do some research.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:16 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

I don't doubt that is true. For all intents and purposes though those small variations in weight and thickness would not really matter (I am guessing).
Old 12-02-2007, 12:21 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

So no real preference for SS vs brushed SS or Copper Core? Id probably still end up with one non-stick just for ease... but the rest???