Just bought my first Le Cruset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Home chef

Senior Cook
I had to do it. I've been wanting one for so long. Yesterday I was making Osso Vuco with my heavy 12" cast aluminum pan. In the end it just didn't taste the same. No fawn development. Not enough airspace on the top for braizing. Simply not the best way to cook the meal.

The unit I purchased is the 7.25 qt oval Doufeu. This one has an indentation on the top. The top can also be used as a casserole dish. The msrp was $300.00 but I got it for $150.00 plus shipping. I'm sure that's about average but I really like shopping at Ebay.

I should get it in about a week. I can't wait!!!

Good for you HomeChef! Let us know what other great meals you make with your new Le Cruset.

I think the 7.25 is the best size for most uses, especially if it's your only piece. I have a round oven in that size. It's great for osso buco, chili, pot roasts and stews.

Home chef said:
I had to do it. I've been wanting one for so long. Yesterday I was making Osso Vuco with my heavy 12" cast aluminum pan. In the end it just didn't taste the same. No fawn development. Not enough airspace on the top for braizing. Simply not the best way to cook the meal.

The unit I purchased is the 7.25 qt oval Doufeu. This one has an indentation on the top. The top can also be used as a casserole dish. The msrp was $300.00 but I got it for $150.00 plus shipping. I'm sure that's about average but I really like shopping at Ebay.

Enjoy, Home chef. I have the Staub version and love it. The oval shape is perfect for shanks or cuts like brisket. And hey, not only does it make incredible "slow" cooked dishes, but just lifting the thing when it's filled with a big pot roast or lamb shanks plus veggies and liquid gives me the day's workout. :LOL:

As for Le Creuset, I do have their 6 3/4 wide French oven (beautiful blue), which is wider and shallower than their regular round ones: http://www.lecreuset.com/usa/products/guide.php?product_id=121 It's perfect for so many dishes, but especially handy for sauteeing a large amount and then braising. I got a great deal on it through eBay.

Enjoy your new toy. I agree with Andy that the size you got it perfect. You will love it! You got a great price too, assuming the shipping was not another $100 :)

I purchased my enameled cast iron 6 qt. oval French Oven from QVC.com. They have some real good values and outstanding cookware. You probably have lots of experience with eBay but I'm just a bit gun-shy due to all the reports of shady operators there. QVC.com also has a liberal return policy.

Check out QVC.com if you get a chance. Here is there selection of "Dutch" and "French" ovens:

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?class=1125&dd=/navigationapp/QVCNavigate.aspx?type=leftnav!class=1125&cm_re=HP-_-MASTHEAD-_-COOKING&qic=y

They don't have anything as big as your 7.5 quart size.

You are right, there is a major difference in taste when you use good utensils and cookware. Things cook evenly and predictably.

Enjoy.

You'll love it, Home Chef! I have the same size and shape as Andy and also find it very, very useful. This year I even used it to make a huge batch of strawberry jam.:chef:

That's a great price. When you want more shop at caplanduval.com. They have very good prices and include shipping as does amazon.com.
Also consider shopping the Mario Batali line of cast iron--about half of LC and good quality but not many styles yet. Also shop Tuesday Morning or TJMaxx for enamel cast iron.

Home chef said:

All of my cookware is either Le Creuset or Lodge cast iron. I have one Farberware skillet (12 inch) that I use for browning. When you say "fawn" do you mean fond? Fond are the bits of brown pieces that stick to the bottom of the pan when browning. I transfer my Osso Buco to a LeCreuset Dutch Oven and it comes out to die for!!! Nothing beats cast iron and LC is awesome. I have 23 peices of the stuff and love every piece.

Drama Queen said:
...I transfer my Osso Buco to a LeCreuset Dutch Oven...

Do you feel that you cannot brown the veal shanks successfully in the LeCrueset? I use my LeC from start to finish.

My LC browns BEAUtifully--better than anything else--one big reason that I love it so much. Will also point out that while the Lodge may be a "Dutch" oven, the LC is a "French" oven--and is actually called that in its listing.

Gretchen said:
...Will also point out that while the Lodge may be a "Dutch" oven, the LC is a "French" oven--and is actually called that in its listing.

Hmmmm, could it have anything to do with the fact that LeC is a FRENCH company??:angel:

I do the same with my Staub pieces and have as much succes as in my "browning" skillets, with the added plus of having one less pan to clean!

To Andy. Yes, it DOES. It was an attempt to say that not all ovens are Dutch ovens and especially LC. The previous post referred to them as "dutch ovens". Were you aware of it? Just wondering.

While there is a difference between Dutch ovens and French ovens technically, that distinction is not longer used that often. The terms have become interchangeable (like stock and broth).

My wife got me a set of LeCruset from American Express Advantage points. The 7.25 Bulbaise (sp), 5.5 round, baking dishes, and sauce pots. I think they are great.

later

I totally agree that they are interchangeable. I just thought some might find it interesting--and educational.

you know I actually have an answer about the term french oven but I've decided to keep it to myself since no one here seem's to give a **** what I say anyway. hahahah !!!

I have nothing useful to add...but I wanted to tell you I'm wilting with envy!

Poor law-students cannot afford even one much-desired Le Cruset pot/pan/casserole/oven...:cry:

But some day! Some day I will own them all!!!!! :bb:An entire set in periwinkle (which I don't think they make yet...:closedeyebut they will! Oh yes, for me they will!)!

ANDYM: Yes the LeCreuset does a great job of browning, however, my family loves my Osso Buco and when I make it I have to make a huge batch and have to brown the shanks in separate batches. If I brown too many shanks in the LeC it stains the bottom and is hard to remove. I use my LeC for browning small (normal size) batches of meats and poultry but for large batches I use the Farberware stainless skillet then transfer to the LeC. Awesome!!!

Back
Top Bottom